Sunday, 19 October 2014

Serendipitous Vedbaek Shawl Knit Along

Like most of us, I like to pride myself on my individuality and resistance to following trends and jumping on bandwagons but sometimes the knitting community can be very persuasive and can sneak up on you when you least expect it. I was watching one of my favourite podcasts, Fiber Trek recently and Sarah mentioned the Vedbaek Shawl by Karina Westermann. Both Sarah and Karina communicate so persuasively about the connection between textiles and landscape and value warm, rustic yarns with clear provenance that exemplify this relationship.


Add to this a very generous discount offer from Karina for Fiber Trek listeners and the realisation that I had the perfect yarn for the project in stash and I was hooked. The yarn is a blend of Jacob, Shetland and Alpaca in the Moss colour way by Jillybean Yarns. Jilly's yarns are a great favourite of mine as she sources them from farms around her home so they are always interesting, one of a kind blends.I know that Jilly and her family are going through some tough times right now so I hope she can draw comfort from the fact that she brings colour and warmth to the world.

 I love the way that the grey Jacob fibre in this yarn gives it such a movement and depth. I would describe the feel of this yarn as quite crunchy but lofty, airy, light and warm. A perfect pop of vibrant colour and cosiness for the cooler days.


The Vedbaek pattern is relatively simple with clean lines ending in an arrowhead motif inspired by Karina's studies of Doggerland, landscape now lost under the north sea and the people who inhabited it.

It's the sort of knit where you can lose yourself in the rhythm of the pattern and really enjoy the feel of the yarn as it moves through your fingers.


The finished article is a simple piece with clean lines which really appeals to my personal sense of style. I'm really glad that for once I decided that it would be good to join the pack.

2 comments:

ambermog said...

Simplicity personified and looks stunning:)) strange synchronicity as last night I dreamt about jillybean. She asked me to do a test knit of a shawl in 3 days! Mr Mog thinks I am turning into Mrs Cake, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs_Cake#Evadne_Cake
From Terry Pratchetts disk world ;) think I best knit the shawl then and in Jillys yarn:))

Cary at Serenity Farms said...

Your shawl and the yarn are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing