Monday, 13 October 2014

Life, the universe and work in progress

My sister and I are fortunate in that we tend to agree on a lot of things. The issue that would have us both nodding most vigorously in agreement right now would be that tasks always seem to take longer  than you imagine they will. We like to think this is because of our optimistic, active depositions. We refuse to countenance any notion that we might sometimes be a little unrealistic.

My sister and her partner are currently restoring a beautiful house in its own woodland and were hoping to move in this spring. I decided that I would make them a housewarming gift of a crochet blanket. What could be simpler? And crochet is dead quick isn't it? I decided to use up some of my precious stash of discontinued Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4ply and worked up a granny stripe sequence based on how many balls of each colour I had. It will come as no surprise that I have quite a few balls of this yarn so I produced a good long foundation row and got busy with my 3mm hook.


It soon became clear that despite some evenings of very speedy hooking this project was going to take a lot longer than I thought. Also, the stripe sequence is pretty broad so once committed to an extra repeat it takes a great deal of work to get the pattern symmetrical. I decided however, that if the worst came to the worst I would give the blanket to my sister in whatever state it was in and use our evenings chatting by the fire to finish it. I didn't quite manage it but because I had been sewing my ends in as I went it is still quite useable for snuggling under. This was back in May...

Meanwhile back at the house, the decision to add a two storey extension had set back the moving in date a little - phew!


Last week I went to visit the family again and we got out the blanket and wool so that I could add another few stripes. I really hoped that I could get the final stripe sequence finished but despite crocheting busily through several evenings in front of the fire I am still about 10 cms short.

Meanwhile, back at the house, the last few coats of plaster are going on the walls....


And my nephew is still working on his mountain bike trail through the woods.


The next time I plan to visit is Christmas. We are sure that by then we will be sitting by the fire in the new house while I cut off the final loose end on the blanket and my nephew rides a complete circuit of the woods on his new bike...

I love being part of a family of optimists!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Venables said...

Love your blog posts, Jane. And the colours of this blanket are so very pleasing.

Jill said...

Jane, this blanket looks amazing. Learning to crochet is one of the things on my "learn to do" list for next year! I really love the colours in your blanket. My stash is full of so many various wools in different thicknesses, but hopefully when I learn to crochet, I will be able to do something with them. :)