Sunday, 7 September 2014

Creative Blog Hop

Last week Rachel from My Life in Knitwear tagged me as part of a creative blog hop where invitees are asked to talk  about their creative processes and methods of working.

I am lucky in that I work in the fibre crafts industry, primarily as a teacher but also as a designer and in retail. Knitting, crochet and spinning are also my main pastimes so very often my professional life and personal life wind themselves around each other and it can be very difficult to discern where one ends and the other begins at times. For the purposes of this exercise I will be talking about myself as a knitter and reflecting on how that influences my world both professionally and personally.

                           

1. What am I working on?


As you can see from the photographs I usually have a range of projects going at any one time on top of any design work that might be going on. I have never been a monogamous knitter as for me, knitting has several different roles in my life and the projects that I take on reflect this. Sometimes I use my knitting as a way to relax at the end of a busy day so I need a project which is relatively simple and repetitive so that I can get into that meditative zone where i can really shake off the issues of the day. I spend a lot of my time travelling on public transport so I like to have a small, simple project such as a plain sock on the needles to fill in the moments when I am lucky enough to get a seat. I have knitted so many socks in my life that I now have the pattern memorised so it is a very easy project but has enough variety in its anatomy to keep me moving forward. Sometimes my imagination is captured by texture and I need to cast on to remind myself of the tactile pleasure of the opportunity to handle so many different materials. In my knitting world there is equal room for the softest merino to crunchier yarns such as Shetland and Jacob so my works in progress reflect this.


Alongside the projects that meet my needs for meditation and tactile pleasure are those which I choose to build my skills whether it be a new shape or construction technique, an intricate or complex pattern or a project which may take months rather than weeks to complete.

I have huge admiration for many of the designers in the knitting community today and I am delighted that I have the opportunity to enjoy their work whilst creating a niche of my own.



2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I wasn't sure how the balance of my work would develop when I decided to become a freelancer in this industry but am really pleased that most of my opportunities have arisen in the field of teaching. Many of my contemporaries appear to be primarily designers who teach. I am a teacher who designs. I teach a range of skills from beginners in knitting, crochet and spinning to intermediate knitters and sock knitters whether they be top downers or bottom uppers!

I get the greatest pleasure from helping someone gain a new skill and to watch skills and confidence blossom. I find teaching a child to finger knit and seeing them concentrating really hard and showing their work proudly equally satisfying as showing an adult the magic of constructing a sock heel where disbelief needs  to be suspended until the shape emerges.

Being someone who loves the company of other people I really enjoy the way that I am constantly learning about how people learn and developing different ways of approaching the teaching of a technique. Above all, the whole process should be fun for all of us. I love to entertain people with the extent of my fibre geekery, tales of mistakes I have made and the size of my yarn stash and to see knitters grow in skills and enthusiasm.



3. Why do I create what I do?

I've been a knitter for as long as I have been a reader and a writer so it really feels as if it is part of who I am. It has woven itself through my life in many ways. I have used it to relax, celebrate important occasions, express love for friends and family and preserve a small part of my creative self whilst spending the majority of my life and career in making a living in the world of management. I believe that my passion for sharing the craft with others is partly influenced by how important I believe it is to retain a creative dimension to our lives no matter how busy we are. Knitting is so easy to pick up, carry around and put down that it can easily be used to create a space for quiet, slow craft in our hectic modern lives.



4. How does my creative process work?

It's quite difficult to find a way to incorporate the word 'process' into a description of how my creativity works. I have huge admiration for people who can produce a consistent volume of high quality design work or knit 52 beautiful pairs of socks in the course of a year. The inside of my head is a bit more like a pinball machine with ideas and enthusiasms bouncing around. I may be completely obsessed with knitting socks for a few weeks and knock out several pairs in quick succession but then all of a sudden I will be seized with the desire to cast on a hat and then someone might mention a particular pattern on a podcast or Ravelry group and I find myself sleepwalking into taking part.

It's a similar story with my designing - I may not design anything for weeks and then all of a sudden I will become obsessed with a stitch pattern or have a REALLY GOOD IDEA followed by a midnight rummage in the stash and then a design will be flying off my needles. I always design on the needles which can be quite time consuming but I am obsessed with fit and function so want to make sure that the garment really works before I launch it.

All in all, the main theme that underlies my creative life is that I get an enormous amount of pleasure and satisfaction from what I do and being a teacher allows me to share this with other people. I consider myself to be very lucky.



I'd like to thank Rachel for tagging me in this challenge as it has really made me sit back and reflect critically on my creativity. I am passing the baton to Natalie of The Yarn Yard  and Nic of Nickerjac whose creativity I respect enormously and would be curious to know how they approach these questions. I am also sneaking in a third tag to Frances of City Views, Country Dreams whose blog I really enjoy!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I so understand the knitting frenzy in doing socks for a bit, and then shawls. I'm in the midst of a shawl frenzy.

It works like that with my buttons, I realised in the spring, with snow on the ground, that I was dreaming of summer and made hundreds of flower buttons!

RooKnits said...

Thank you Jane, that was really interesting. I do love those cables at the bottom

Frances said...

Jane, it was very interesting to read your answers to the Hop's questions.

Thank you again for your invitation to me to come up with my own anwers. I've finally posted my replies, which are a bit rambly.

(I thought that I'd already left you a comment here, but perhaps my memory is faulty...or my Publish clicking was off center.)

Best wishes from New York.