Sunday, 24 August 2014

Simple pleasures

Well as I said in my last post, once I started knitting on those simple socks I found it very difficult to put them down. Within a matter of days I had a brand new pair of stripy socks! I used Yarn Yard Bonny, 2.5mm circular needles and a pattern which originated in the sock recipe in Ann Budd's Handy Book of Knitting Patterns which I have fiddled around with and memorised over the years. 

There is something very comforting about working on a project that is so familiar that I have memorised the pattern. Despite the simplicity, the project quickly moves through clear stages which prevents it becoming monotonous. Knitting down through the leg the pleasure comes from discovering how the stitch pattern is going to develop. Turning the heel still feels like such a neat and clever process. Most surprisingly of all, I have even learned to enjoy Kitchener stitch, something that until now I have never really felt happy with the results of. The secret for me has been to work the stitches fairly loosely then to place the toe over a darning mushroom and gently tighten up the stitches before fastening them off.


I enjoyed the process so much I couldn't resist casting on another pair, once again in Yarn Yarn Bonny.

One of the things that I find fascinating about knitting with hand painted variegated yarns is that you can never quite predict how the garment will turn out as the placement of colours is subject to so many variables, the length of the skein, number of stitches, size of the needles and most importantly the placement of colours by the dyer.

As you can see by the example of these socks, both pairs are knitted in the same yarn, with the same sized needles to the same pattern. However, the way in which the colours work with each other has led to completely different striping effects. I have no idea how it happens.


 With the grey and yellow socks the stripes are broken and shadowy whilst on the red and green socks the stripes are clear and unbroken.


I may have cast on another pair...

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

Fabulous Jane!

Frances said...

Jane, you've reminded me that I really do have to finish the final few rows of the second sock of a pair that I began knitting...well, it was a while ago.

I also love the Ann Budd book, and marvel at how differently striping appears as you begin a sock.

(I finally figured out how to manage the Kitchener stitch this summer, "translating" various explanations into my own left-handedness. I love your idea of using a darning egg and will adopt it.)

Best wishes. xo