Sunday, 3 August 2014

Is it really a week since Fibre East?

I can't believe it's a whole week since Nic and I made our debut as vendors at Fibre East. First of all, a huge thank you to everyone who came by to see us, try on samples, buy my patterns and Nic's lovely yarn. We were overwhelmed with how well received we were and the lovely comments that people made. It made all the hard work well worth it.


Nic's yarns are not only beautifully dyed, as you can see, they are also wound into 50g cakes and ingeniously packaged into ready to go wrappers which makes them look like giant sweeties! Perfect for the knitter who wants instant gratification. She will soon be putting any yarn that she has left up on her online shop so keep an eye out for it. 


Here is a close up look of my little case, inherited from my dad,  overflowing with samples, looking nice and tidy at the beginning of the day.

Fibre East is a lovely, well organised festival which manages to feel relaxed even though it is buzzing with fibre enthusiasts, teachers and vendors of all sorts, sheep shearing demonstrations and a whole marquee dedicated to 'having a go'. There is plenty of outside space and places to sit which is a good job as, particularly on Saturday it was eye wateringly hot. How anyone managed to try on mitts I just don't know but I certainly appreciate it.

Of course, it was impossible to resist having a little explore and appreciating the work of other vendors. I was delighted to see that one of my favourite yarn sellers, The Little Grey Sheep were at the other end of our marquee. I have knitted a pair of my Fairlee Mittens in some of their Stein lace and Emma, the farmer and dyer came over to say how much she liked them and graciously took one as a sample for her own stand. One of the things that I love about the fibre community is how people support each other.

Of course, I couldn't leave the festival without adding to my collection of her mini skeins of Stein Lace.. I mean, take a look at them - how could I not? They also appeal to the sheep geek in me - the Stein sheep is a cross breed between Shetland and Gotland sheep and has the bounce of Shetland combined with the sheen of Gotland. It is a light fingering to heavy lace weight - perfect for colour work accessories.

I am planning to have some colour work fun this summer.


The main problem is choosing colour combinations.


So I had a little bit of fun trying out some of my favourites.


The possibilities are endless.


It's hard to find a combination I don't like.


Don't you just love knitting?

3 comments:

Mairead Hardy said...

So pleased you had a successful time at Fibre East.

Fiona MacBride said...

So that's what Stein sheep are......thank you. I have a "thing" about Gotland.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I must try and get to Fibre East next year. Everyone I know that has been has just loved it. Should be at All pally in October though.


Jean x