Monday, 7 July 2014

Taking the plunge

I am often astonished when I look down the sidebar of the blog to see that in the first few years of recording my knitting activity how much I used to finish. Nowadays I am lucky enough to earn my living as a professional knitter which strangely enough seems to leave me a lot less time for knitting - how did that happen?


Whilst I still absolutely love knitting socks, my output has certainly slowed from the memorable year that I attempted the 52 Pair Plunge, an online knitting challenge organised through Ravelry,  and managed a reasonably creditable 29 pairs.  With this in mind, and having examined the still alarming number of socks in progress I have in my knitting basket I have decided to join the much more modest 26 Pair Plunge and see if I can move them on to my sock drawer. The rules of the challenge are that socks need to be finished between July1st 2014 and June 30th 2015 but it doesn't matter when they were cast on so it is perfect for motivating me to do some finishing.


So, I a very pleased to report that I am able to present my first finished pair for this year,  Dawlish Socks from Coopknits Socks by Rachel Coopey knit in Clan, a much loved but sadly discontinued yarn by The Yarn Yard. I love Rachel's designs and when I cast these socks on last September entertained the notion of working my way through the book using my precious stash of Clan which, lovely as it is, being a discontinued yarn can't really be used for my own designs. I'm very tempted to raid the stash for  casting on the next pair but I really should finish some works in progress first.


I'm really pleased with the way the socks have turned out although having such a long hiatus between starting and finishing meant that I found it hard to regain the rhythm of the pattern and did about as much ripping out as I did knitting on the second sock. The pattern is perfectly well written - it was just me repeatedly losing the plot by thinking I remembered what was going on rather than referring back to the pattern!


One of the reasons that the yarn is a great favourite of mine is that the multiple plies make a dense, smooth yarn that gives excellent stitch definition. It is on the heavy end of the sock yarn spectrum which makes for a very dense, warm fabric.


I love the regular but asymmetric design of these socks. I must confess that they are designed to be a mirrored pair but I chose to make them identical as making sure I have them on the correct foot first thing in the morning would be a step too far for me at such an early hour.


Right, off to rummage in the knitting basket for lonely single socks.

2 comments:

Rupert Neil Bumfrey said...

re-posted through G+ https://plus.google.com/100146646232137568790/posts/bULqnefTEMU

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Oh my those socks are just perfection and are feeding my Scandi crush. I must try a pair like that later this year when I have finished my other projects. The colour is gorgeous.

Jean x