Monday, 23 June 2014

Slow Craft

Another of the things that I love about knitting is that it is a slow craft. Fabric is built stitch by stitch with every inch of the yarn passing through the knitter's hands and finding its place through their deliberate movements. Friends who love to sew can dream of a garment in the morning and be wearing it in the evening. Not so the knitter. Whilst we don't get that instant gratification, any garment that we produce really feels as if it takes part of us with it as it has been our companion for days, weeks, months or even years. 

I decided I needed a new cardigan back in November and chose to knit Old Town by Carol Sunday. I described my fascination with the construction and the fun of not really knowing where the piece was going to take me next. This of course, once the bodice was complete subsided into swathes of stocking stitch because I had of course decided that I wanted a long line cardigan. Perfect TV knitting if I watched much TV.

Therefore, despite really enjoying every stitch, it has taken between November and now for me to finally put the finishing touches to my cardigan. I often feel slightly sad when if sew in the very last end, particularly with a large project as it has now stopped being my knitting and is now just a cardigan. But it is a beautiful cardigan in one of my favourite yarns, Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool, in a gorgeous rich brown and I'm looking forward to wearing it.


 I'm afraid the coat hanger shot really doesn't do it justice.


And it looks even less prepossessing from the back but let me assure you, I really like the way it fits and the beauty really is in the detail.

I love the fact that I can't see the provisional cast on at the back of the bodice. The only clue to its existence is the change of direction in the lace border.


The short row shaping of the shoulder gives a really good fit.


Increases to give the skirt a slight flare work flow beautifully into the lace edging.


This is definitely a more feminine cardigan than I am used to wearing but its easy shape means that I think it is going to become a firm favourite.

It was worth waiting for.

4 comments:

RooKnits said...

Looks gorgeous Jane

Natalie said...

You are very clever.
Beautifully finished too.
So, what's next on the needles?

couthyquine said...

Beautiful work Jane. I am sure it looks even better on you too.

Tracy said...

Very pretty, love the colour too :)