Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Reasons to be Cheerful

Now I'm a pretty optimistic sort of person but the last few days of winter can make spring seem an awful long way away. That's why I was delighted when, a few weeks ago my friend Rachel released her latest sock pattern, Reasons to be Cheerful. She showed me these socks last summer and had made them in a glorious shade of yellow, Brassica by Uncommon Thread. 

Somewhere hidden in my memory the lyrics of Ian Dury's song, Reasons to be Cheerful, part 3 came to mind. 'Did you know'.... I said in the style of the pop music nerd....'That Ian Dury mentioned yellow socks as one of his reasons to be cheerful?'

You can imagine how delighted I was when the gift of this pattern arrived in my inbox and I read what she had called them!




Of course, with a big smile on my face I had to dig out one of my favourite skeins of yellow yarn and cast on immediately. It's Smoothy Sock by Artist's Palette which I have been saving for the right project. By a happy coincidence these socks involve a garter stitch short row toe and heel which is one of those that I teach in my toe up sock class. Last time I taught I discovered to my embarrassment that I had no pairs of unworn socks in this particular style to use as an example. Even though my socks are thoroughly clean I prefer not to display the evidence of the miles I have walked to the whole class!



The stitch pattern is easily memorised and as a disguised, asymmetric rib gives a very good fit. It's not a quick knit as it is mostly ribbing but it is great for knitting on the go.


All in all I can thoroughly recommend the pattern. It's well written, easy to follow and invites you to grab the skein of yarn that makes you happiest and cast on. Now that spring has finally arrived it's very tempting to put them on immediately but then I would have to cast on another pair for teaching wouldn't I?


This knitting game is such hard work....


I'll leave the last words to someone who helped write the soundtrack to my youth:

Eighteen-wheeler Scammels, Domineker camels
All other mammals plus equal votes
Seeing Piccadilly, Fanny Smith and Willy
Being rather silly and porridge oats

A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
You're welcome, we can spare it, yellow socks


Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3
Ian Dury 1942 - 2000

2 comments:

Rachel A said...

You've made my day! Thank you so much Jane and I'm off to dig out my Ian Dury vinyl for a bit of a lunchtime pick-me-up!

Cybil said...

Everyone needs yellow socks and a reason to be cheerful.
I dug out some buttercup yellow Toddy yarn as soon as Rachel's pattern came out.
Good to hear where the title inspiration came from - you're a mine of interesting but not necessarily useful information!