Monday, 17 March 2014

What's lurking at the bottom of your knitting basket?

Spring must be in the air as I spent most of this last weekend trying to bring order to the low level chaos that is my house. The bright spring weather means that I have been putting out line after line of washing, opening doors and windows and letting the fresh air into the house after the long, damp winter. 

It has been such a mild winter that, like most people with a serious wool habit my moth paranoia has gone into overdrive as it just hasn't been cold enough to thin out the little beasties and I am convinced that there will be a total epidemic this year. Rather than relying on the resident feline pest control service I decided to invest in a large batch of Ziploc bags and lavender and start battening down the hatches.

It occurred to me that whilst most of my stash lives in the relative safety of plastic boxes, my works in progress live in a row of baskets near the sofa and were probably vulnerable. Imagine the horror of returning to something you had invested loads of time and effort in to find that something had chewed a hole in it before you had even finished it. Just doesn't bear thinking about...

I have to admit that it's been some time since I really looked at what was in the baskets and it was a sobering experience. There were some things in there that I don't even remember casting on.


Even more alarmingly I came across this really pretty half finished sock in a gorgeous shade of Artist's Palette Smoothy Sock. I have no idea when I cast it on or why I stopped but worst of all I have absolutely no idea what the pattern is.


It's not in my Ravelry projects or in my blog archive. It's knit from the toe up so might be a Wendy Johnson design so if anyone has an encyclopedic knowledge of sock patterns I'd really appreciate it if you could shed any light on it as I'd really like to finish it.

Once I've recovered from the shock of the extent of my WIP pile I may be back for more advice on how to tackle it.

Have you checked the bottom of your knitting basket recently?

8 comments:

Susan said...

No idea, but very pretty.

It's usually the yarn I can't identify.

Rachel said...

Looks like Rumpled from Socktopus/Knit Now http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rumpled

Random Knitter said...

This reminds me of MONA by CookieA, but her socks are nearly all top-down.

Random Knitter said...

Or it could be Rosebud by Wendy Johnson

KarenE said...

It's a very pretty sock. My WIP and mending pile just keeps growing. What was one basket is now several :(

It might be a bumper year for m**hs and slugs and snails - what joy!

RooKnits said...

Rumpled was my thought too.

-x-Kat-x- said...

I have a throw that is supposed to be made of five strips of knitting but has only made it to three, it was so cosy when I was knitting it that I started using it before it was finished and now I've misplaced the pattern.

ClaireEJ said...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rosebud-socks