Monday, 3 March 2014

Shalfleet Socks



I'm delighted to be able to tell you that I have a new pattern published in this month's Knit Now magazine which should be in the shops this week.

The Shalfleet socks are named for a village on the Isle of Wight where generations of my family have lived and worked. My Uncle Bern had a boat, a former lifeboat from a battleship, apparently, which he kept moored on Shalfleet Creek. The ribs and lace patterns on the socks are designed to evoke my uncle's boat as it cut through the waves on its way out into the choppy waters of the Solent to fish. Uncle Bern's wife, Aunty Gert was also a fine fisherwoman who would cook up their catches of fresh mackerel on a Primus stove to be eaten with bread and butter on the banks of the creek as the sun went down.

Knit from the toe up, the ribbed pattern is worked from the tips of the toe, dividing at the centre of the instep with a lace inset creating the gusset for a flap and gusset heel. The ribbed pattern flows around the ankle and up the back of the leg, finishing with the gentle ripples of a 1 x 1 rib. The ribbed pattern ensures a good fit while the lace panel provides a decorative touch just where it can be seen.

Offered in three sizes, these socks are knit in Yarn Yard Toddy, a smooth merino yarn with a touch of nylon for strength in a lovely sea blue called Marine.

I hope that you enjoy knitting them as much as I did.

Photo by Dan Walmsley reproduced with permission of Knit Now Magazine.

2 comments:

Solstitches said...

What a pretty design. Love the socks and only wish the magazine was available where I live.
Margaret

tea and cake said...

I am hoping my magazine is in the newsagents where I ordered it, now!