Saturday, 15 March 2014

Playing with colour

Remember those lovely little balls of Little Grey Sheep Stein Lace that I was playing with the other day?


They quickly grew from this mitten tip...


 To these mittens.


Using my own Fairlee Mitten pattern I decided that I would divide each skein in two and make some dramatic colour block mittens, using every scrap of this soft and cosy yarn. I was really surprised at the yardage in these skeins and found that I was able to adapt the pattern and extend the cuff and the ribbing quite a long way in the end.


This is why it is so nice to have this pattern to work with as it gives a framework within which to play and create different effects using the characteristics of the yarn to guide the finished article.

I have to say that given the unexpected length of these mittens I was a bit jaded by the time I had finished the first one so I decided to spice things up a bit and further divide the remaining balls of yarn in two so that I could make the colour blocks on the second mitt slightly smaller.


I like the idea of having a pair of mittens which are fraternal rather than identical. It also means that I know which is the left and which is the right. Perfect for putting them on in a hurry on a cold morning.

I can't recommend this yarn highly enough. Being a cross between Shetland and Gotland it has the bounce of the former with the sheen on Gotland. It is worsted spun so it is smooth and strong. I might be tempted to try it for socks as the combination of bounce and strength should make it a good choice.




Mind you, I'm not sure I need them at the moment. As you can see, the photos were taken in beautiful spring sunshine by my friend Nic at Stepney City Farm. Knowing our weather, however, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a chance to show them off before too long.

2 comments:

picperfic said...

your mittens looks to be an excellent fit and the neapolitan ice cream shades look delicious! So now I am off to look at the yarn....

MandellaUK said...

The British weather is fickle, I doubt that winter is done with us yet. Lovely mittens; who ordained they should be identical? I like your thinking!