Friday, 7 March 2014

From knitting to clothing - a success story!

When I ruefully examine the pile of half finished knitting projects that surround my favourite corner of the sofa I sometimes wonder whether I might have problems letting go of my knitting. Of course, when I start a project it's usually because I've seen lovely pictures of the finished item and have a mental image of how wonderful it will look when it's done. I also love the process of seeing the pattern develop stitch by stitch and feeling the fabric moving under my fingers. I have to admit though, that when I finally cast off a project and sew in the last end, before I step back to admire it I feel just a little bit sad that it is no longer my knitting but has to go on and make its way in the world as a piece of clothing.

It may also be the case that until I actually finish a project I can imagine that this time it is going to be the most perfect item I have ever created and I will look exactly as gorgeous in it as I thought I would when I saw the photo...

But sometimes a project delivers more than you hope it will. When I grabbed a handful of skeins of Yarn Yard Clan that had been sitting in my stash for ages and decided to cast on a multi coloured version of Veera Valimaki's Different Lines I wasn't sure whether I would be able to combine the colours in a way that made me happy. 


 I'm delighted to say that through a combination of luck and judgement I was able to put together a combination that makes me think of spice markets and desert landscapes or a little closer to home, the coloured sands of Alum Bay, a tourist attraction on the Isle of Wight where you can fill a test tube with layers of different coloured sands.


I was really lucky to find a patch of early spring sunshine to take these photographs in as they enhance the warm, spicy shades.


I made the shawl as large as I could, weighing the skeins after every section to make sure I got as much from them as possible. It is likely that my kitchen scales spent more time in my knitting corner than in the kitchen...


The result is a good sized, asymmetric shawl in a sort of flying V shape which I can wrap around my neck a couple of times. The yarn is very smooth which makes it warm but not fuzzy, perfect for the early days of spring.

I'm very glad that I braced up and cast off this project.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Fran39

Rose Red said...

This is such a lovely version of this pattern. I love these colours together (even though they are totally not my colours!). Perfect marriage of yarn and pattern.

Also, my kitchen scales are permanently on my kitchen bench - which is right behind where I sit to knit. I think they are used way more for yarn than baking!