Monday, 17 February 2014

Secrets of the sock drawer

As someone who discovered the addictive skill of sock knitting some ten years ago you can imagine that despite giving many away I have a sizeable collection at my disposal. I have to admit to being an enthusiastic sock wearer. I tend to dress in quite neutral colours so hand knitted socks give me an opportunity to add a bright pop of colour to any outfit.



Mind you, the size of my collection can lead me to become rather slack in the regularity of my hand washing. I have posted pictures of my washing line full of socks before. I can reassure you that my habits have not changed.



This time, however I thought I would have a bit of a closer look at the collection. I washed over thirty pairs which, whilst not the entire sock drawer full, is a pretty representative sample.

First I looked at the colours. 



Five blue pairs


Two grey pairs


Four yellow and orange pairs.


Two red pairs


Five purple pairs



Three pink pairs

Three brown pairs


Five green pairs.

It would appear from my sock knitting habits that I really haven't met a colour I didn't like!



The collection is also divided pretty equally between vanilla socks and those with patterns, whether it be knit and purl combinations, cables, lace or colour work.


Overall I think my sock drawer speaks rather eloquently about why I continue to find knitting socks interesting and satisfying. They can be colourful, comforting, challenging, decorative but above all, warm and useful.

I'd love to see what's in your sock drawer.

7 comments:

picperfic said...

and I wonder if you have a favourite pair? They're all so lovely! Are you knitting as you read this? lol

Katrina James said...

Hi Jane,

They are all absolutely lovely.

You should send your picture to Jasmin and Gigi (The Knitmore Girls) for their 'Operation Sock Drawer' collection.

Regards
Katrina
(We met once at Skip North)

Katrina James said...

Hi Jane,

They are all absolutely lovely.

You should send your picture to Jasmin and Gigi (The Knitmore Girls) for their 'Operation Sock Drawer' collection.

Regards
Katrina
(We met once at Skip North)

Tracy said...

Wow what a gorgeous selection of colours Jane, they'll all brighten up many a grey day :)

Solstitches said...

What a lovely collection of socks!
I just recently joined as a follower here and am enjoying your blog very much.
Margaret

tea and cake said...

You give me hope! I thought I had enough pairs = 4 of my own. Now, I feel I have permission to go for it and knit more. Thank you!

Cathie Aldridge said...

This is my aim to have a whole drawer full but like you my family keep demanding socks so selfish socks don't get as much of a look in as I would like. You're socks are a real inspiration I love seeing them collectively. What would the collective noun for socks be? Maybe a Tangle?