Friday, 31 January 2014

Striping away the winter blues.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this stage of a British winter, especially a damp, dull, droopy one like we are having at the moment just a little bit lacking in colour. It's at times like this when I like to rummage around in my stash and am often drawn to the warm, spicy colours that this season seems to lack. 

The other day I found five single skeins of sadly discontinued Clan by The Yarn Yard each of which is enough for a pair of mittens but needs more for a larger project. I was then really lucky and bagged two skeins in a lovely neutral creamy shade at a yarn swap which really brought the whole colour scheme together and gave me enough yarn for a substantial and cosy shawl.


The pattern I chose is Different Lines by Veera Vallmaki which I have made in two colour versions a couple of times before. It is perfectly relaxing knitting combining plenty of unchallenging garter stitch with short rows which keep the project interesting. I also love the reversibility of garter stitch and the fact that it looks good from all angles, folded or flat, which makes it a very wearable piece for someone like me who can't stay tidy all day no matter how hard I try.

In fact, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have a brief interlude contentedly curled up on the sofa adding another colourful stripe while the last of today's murky light drains from the sky.

1 comment:

natalie said...

That's really pretty, you have this knack for mixing and matching colours in shawls. I'm not a pink person, but even I would wear that combination.