Wednesday, 11 December 2013

A Round of Applause

Last week I taught the last session of another set of beginners' classes. This is where I ask students to go away and find a pattern that they would like to knit, using the skills that they have just learnt. One of my students showed me the set of beginners' patterns and tutorials published by Tin Can Knits. Why have I not found these before?

There is a scarf, a blanket, a cowl, mittens, socks and a jumper, all worked in worsted weight yarn and designed to introduce new skills in an incremental way. They have been generously published free of charge with teachers invited to use them with students. 

Of course, I had to dash off and cast on one of these projects, just to see how they worked. I chose Maize, the mitten pattern.



I decided that a simple pattern presented an ideal opportunity to use a skein of my hand spun yarn and chose this merino and silk yarn, spun from a braid by Hilltopcloud. The pattern was very easy to follow  with enough individual design touches to make it attractive to knit. If this pattern is a good representative of the collection I can thoroughly recommend them to new knitters and experienced knitters looking for a quick and simple project alike.


It only took me a matter of hours to knit up these mittens so it is a great project for anyone who wants a pair of cosy mittens in a hurry.


The stitch pattern adds interest but is understated enough for it to be an ideal pattern for hand spun yarn with a bit of ...ahem...texture.

Working on this simple project inspired me to embark on a small mitten project of my own. I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

RooKnits said...

Gorgeous. I found the patterns a while ago whilst looking for some patterns to recommend to a new knitter. They are a great teaching aid

tea and cake said...

Ooh, great fun, and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with! x

tea and cake said...

Ooh, great fun, and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with! x