Sunday, 24 March 2013

Spring Greens

In common with many people in the UK at the moment both Spring and greens are in rather short supply round here at the moment. To inject a little bit of the colour of the season I have to turn to my knitting! I don't claim to be an advanced lace knitter but decided that this time I did want to stretch my skills a bit more so chose the Sunflower Shawl by Tin Can Knits. Up until now I have knitted triangular lace shawls but usually ones with a simple motif and an edging so this time wanted something a little more complex. I chose this shawl as the motifs have a theme and the transitions are smooth and clean.
 

Very much in need of a splash of fresh spring colour I decided to use one of my precious skeins of Crannog by the Yarn Yard. This yarn is a heavy, smooth lace weight which unfortunately has now been discontinued and this particular skein is a mixture of fresh greens, interesting enough to give movement but not too overwhelming to the lace.


As I knitted on the shawl I realised that far from being complex and difficult, the motifs flowed very easily and were in fact easily memorised so  the shawl was very quickly completed. I used a great deal less yarn than I thought so had enough yarn for an extra repeat of the large motif.


This photo gives the best overall impression of the colour of the shawl.


I would highly recommend both pattern and yarn (if you can get hold of it!) to even the most tentative of lace knitters. It has encouraged me to be bolder in the choice of my next lace project - any suggestions?

6 comments:

Susan said...

It is gorgeous, Jane.

Roobeedoo said...

That is really lovely - I am kicking myself for missing the Tin Can Knits stall at the EYF.
I am a lace beginner, so not a good person to advise on patterns... but there are some lovely ones in the Sock Report?

Madricha Laura said...

Absolutely gorgeous, as usual. SIMPLE?? Well, for you Probably...

Laurabelo

Madricha Laura said...

Absolutely gorgeous, as usual. But SIMPLE??? For you, Probably...

Laurabelo

Puella63 said...

I love it!

Jude said...

Absoluteoy stunning.How about Peacock Feathers Shawl for your next one ?