Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Colour and Life

I'll be honest. February isn't my favourite month. Day after day of cold, grey, damp weather can have me longing for warm days and long, light evenings. Not someone to let things get her down I find myself seeking out warmth and colour where I can find them. Firstly, I take the opportunity to wear as much colourful knitwear as possible. Secondly, I seek out the warmth of other woolly people...
 
 
Last Sunday I pretended vigorously that I didn't have a head cold and that it wasn't going to snow and headed out with my friend Natalie to a village hall in Flitwick, Bedfordshire to be with a room full of such people. Spinners turning piles of vibrantly coloured fluff into beautiful yarn.
 
 
Piles of gorgeously dyed fibre from alpaca and mohair...
 
 
To Merino, Polwarth, seacell and silk...
 
 
Yarns in all shades of the rainbow from vibrant brights...
 
 
To complex hand paints.
 
 
Of course I had to bring some of this colour home with me - some beautiful Blue Faced Leicester and silk sport weight from Sparkleduck in Neptune and Dovely (such and evocative name).
 
 
And some oatmeal and silk Blue Faced Leicester and silk fibre from Marianne at  Picperfic called Jewels. I really like coloured fleece over dyed as it produces such wonderfully deep, complex shades.
 
 
Along with watching other people work, eating cake and chatting, I  found time to work on my own current spinning project. I have been spindle spinning some yarn for a pair of stripy mittens on my trusty Bosworth mini spindles, aiming for a light fingering weight. The greenish grey yarn is a grey Shetland and carbonised bamboo blend with a subtle wash of colour by The Thylacine. 
 
 
 
The variegated yarn is a hand dyed white Shetland by The Yarn Yard.
 
 
 
By doing a little spinning here there and everywhere on my spindles I already have enough to get started on my mitts!
 
It was an absolute delight to spend the day in such warm and colourful company. The snow may have started to fall as we drove back into London and I might still be coughing and wheezing like an old accordion but I came away enthused and inspired to knit, spin and crochet the rest of the winter away.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I live in Flitwick and I read about that day and then completely forgot about it! Oh dear. Hopefully I will remember the next one! Glad it all went well and all that yarn and fibre looks so yummy. Probably as well for my bank balance that I didn't make it!

Bernardeena said...

Al those colours! They are so beautiful, I especially love the sparkle duck yarns.

AnnaT said...

I had a wonderful time, and it was great to see you Jane. Looking forward to the next get together for SKIPNorth ... in 4 weeks or so!