Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Style Icon

Being an enthusiastic and productive knitter it isn't surprising that I have a fair amount of hand knitted clothing to choose from and I do like to wear at least one hand made thing every day. The joy of hand made is that your clothes are unique, one of a kind pieces that last and transcend fashion. Friends will tell you that I'll always be wearing a pair of hand knitted socks inside my boots, or a pair of mitts or scarf peeking out from the collar of my jacket.
 
When I am at home, however my knitwear can take centre stage and I can be seen trotting around in these beauties. I love this combination of socks and clogs - they are so comfortable and to my mind are just made for each other. I recently rediscovered these clogs which had somehow got themselves lodged under the sofa. Don't ask.
 
 
As for the socks, I can't quite remember when I made them. I know they pre-date my blog and Ravelry so that means they are at least six years old. The pattern is Spey Valley from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush, still one of my favourite sock designers and the yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Blue Jeans I believe. I can only recommend both pattern and yarn very highly as they really have stood the test of time very well.
 

 
As you can see from this closeup, whilst the fabric has developed a quite integrated surface the fit and stitch definition are still pretty good. They really feel part of me.
 
They really just sum up why I love knitting - I can have interesting, unique pieces of clothing that for someone like me who really doesn't care that much about the comings and going of fashion make me happy every time I look at them. I also know that I will be able to enjoy them for years to come.

5 comments:

Sally said...

Those are exactly like my first Birks, about 26 years ago or so! You are right about handknit socks and clogs. Life is good. :)

Lila Rostenberg said...

wonderful socks!
Mine tend to wear out on the toe and I find myself re-knitting the toes with the leftover yarn! LOL!
cushy hand knit socks are wonderful with clogs!

Liz Benson said...

They look beautiful, I can't believe they've work so well

tea and cake said...

I so agree with you, Jane. And, you have now inspired me to knit myself a plain jumper. I keep putting it off as I am currently 'over-sized,' but now I just think "Jane is right, it is so lovely to wear something hand-knitted."
Thanks x

Rose Red said...

I must get a pair of those for next winter. I have also knitted Spey Valley in Lorna's Laces, for my husband. One of my favourite sock yarns.