Saturday, 12 January 2013

Hooked


Although most of my crafty skills lie with knitting, I can crochet simple projects and was chatting to a few friends the other day and decided that it was time to pick up the hook again. I have quite a lot of good, hard wearing DK wool in my stash and thought that this would be a great opportunity to make it into something useful. 
 
 
 I already have a crochet ripple blanket that I made some years ago but to be honest this has been sequestered by Talsi, one of my cats so this time I thought I would have a go at the Granny Stripe blanket by Attic24. Nothing complicated, just something to do in the evening after a busy day. I gathered up all my balls of Jo Sharp DK that have been marinading in my stash for about 10 years. I bought them at a rock bottom price from a Canadian website called Elann which offered ends of line but you had to be quick. A bit of Internet shopping that resembled Supermarket Sweep and the choice of surface shipping netted me about 30 balls in differing amounts of 5 colours for about £1 a ball. Those were the days.... Not much of a bargain sitting in a box in the back bedroom though.
 
 
I cast on the recommended number of chains and worked out that each ball would yield about 4 rows so came up with a stripe sequence that would use as much of the yarn as possible and set to. I have to say that for the first couple of days all other tasks went out of the window as adding 'just one more row became quite compulsive.
 
 
I couldn't wait to see how the colours worked together and am quite pleased with the result. I never planned for them to be used together so it's a matter of luck rather than judgement!
 

 
My plan for this blanket is for it to become a cover for the lower part of my bed so it is going to be quite long and narrow. I like my feet to be cosy.
 


Talsi of course has other plans.

6 comments:

YarnAddictAnni said...

looks lovely. want to make a granny stripes & chevron blankets.Just have two finish 2 granny squares blankets first.

RooKnits said...

gorgeous Jane - the colours are working really well together

Knit Nurse said...

That really looks lovely, as your cat seems to agree! There's definitely a bit of a crochet trend going on among the crafters I follow - including myself, having just picked up the hook again after a bit of a break. Perhaps we are all searching for novelty for the new year?

Rani A said...

Love it. And I love the idea of using as a foot warmer at the bottom of the bed. My ripple blanket is as wide as a King bedspread, so you can imagine how long it will take me to finish. I think I'll keep it at the foot of my bed, too. Perfect.

Rose Red said...

Yay crochet! I think, for the first time in years, I have crochet more than I knit in the last 12 months (gasp!). It absolutely has an important place in the fibre arts arena! Those colours are great together.

Kathy said...

Looks like Talsi is thanking you for the new fabulous kitty blanket!

I am all into warm feet these days. My part of the world is in a deep freeze right now!