Thursday, 8 November 2012

This is not a food blog


I think that I am really fortunate to have this time to try and make a living doing the things I love best, sharing my enthusiasm for knitting and all things woolly by teaching and designing. It does mean, however that I have had to learn to live on a much lower income. Mind you, spending much more of my time working from home means that I have time to prepare and enjoy good, healthy food than back in the days when I was working 10 hour days, rushing from meeting to meeting and living mainly on shop bought sandwiches and bags of crisps. Although I am now eating much better food, I spend far less than I used to.

This month, a group of us on Ravelry have been doing what we call the Store cupboard Challenge where we share ideas and recipes for using up food in the store cupboard, fridge or bargains we've found in the shops creatively. Today I made celeriac and apple soup with smoked mackerel which was really tasty and filling so I thought I would share my recipe with you. Bear in mind, however that my idea of a recipe is a sketchy idea of the things I put in and stirred about a bit rather than a precise set of instructions.

Celeriac and Apple Soup with Smoked Mackerel

1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
2 Cox's apples, peeled,cored and chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
Slosh of olive oil
1 tablespoon of horseradish sauce
Enough vegetable stock to cover
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds

Packet of smoked mackerel
Yoghurt to serve

Sweat the onions,celery, celeriac and apple in a large saucepan with the olive oil until the onions are transparent but not brown. Add the caraway and celery seeds and stir for a minute. Cover with stock and cook until the veg is tender then whizz with a hand blender until smooth. Skin and tear up a fillet of mackerel per person and put at the bottom of a large soup bowl, pour soup into bowl and top with a swirl of yoghurt.

Enjoy then return to your kntting.




3 comments:

skipseagirl said...

sounds tasty! thanks!

Bernardeena said...

I'll have to try this, we have lots of celeriac in the veg box and it would be good to try something new with it.

Rachel A said...

YUM YUM! Thanks for sharing Jane and for joining the apple madness!