Thursday, 1 November 2012

More music - and a plan....

Apparently November is national blog post month so I have decided to attempt to blog every day for the next month. In theory this shouldn't be too hard as I have been really busy doing all kinds of interesting things. Now the evenings are drawing in, the theory goes, I will have time to curl up on the sofa and use the blog to reflect on some of it. We shall see.
 
Anyway, November starts with another musical post as I have been down to Cecil Sharp House again, this time to see Fay Hield and the Hurricane Party. As I mentioned before, my path into the appreciation of folk music has been very much from contemporary, political singer song writers so it was interesting for me to come and listen to someone whose songbook chiefly consists of interpretations of traditional words and music.
 

I was confident that the music would be beautifully played as the Hurricane Party really is a who's who of some of the best folk musicians on the scene or as Fay put it - 'My fantasy folk band'. The line up of Sam Sweeney, Rob Harbron, Andy Cutting, Roger Wilson and Jon Boden was never going to disappoint.


A less than full house meant that the acoustics for the first few songs were a little chilly but as the band and the audience warmed up the sound soon filled the room. Faye's clear passion for the music and its universal storytelling were infectious as was the ensemble playing which allowed the instruments to speak for themselves.


The programme showcased tracks from the new album 'Orfeo' . Stand out tunes for me were Sir Orfeo and  'The Cuckoo'.
All in all I really enjoyed the performance and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the story behind the song. Dr Hield is clearly deeply knowledgeable about her material but communicates with clarity and enthusiasm and a twinkle in her eye.


Impressive musicianship.
And a jolly good knees up.

No comments: