Friday, 24 August 2012

It's been a while....


I've just realised that it's been almost a year since I last blogged here. There have been so many changes in my life in the last year - some good, some not so good that it is difficult to know where to start so I thought I'd start again where it all began - with the knitting!

You may be relieved to know that knitting and spinning and quite frankly anything that involves wool has never been far from my side. I have decided that I would like to make textile arts an even bigger part of my life than it is at the moment and to see how far I get in making a living through my skills. I am aware that I may never become a wealthy woman this way but that has never been one of my goals. I may need to diversify occasionally to make ends meet but life is too short to waste wishing I was doing something else!

Watch this space for details of classes I will be teaching in the near future!


This summer I have spent a lot of time on the Isle of Wight, making the most of living in my late father's house before we reluctantly sell it. We have filled the house once again with laughter and bustle culminating in the marriage of two dear friends who proved that you don't need loads of money to have a beautiful wedding as long as you have friends, tin cans, buttons, a pirate and a whole lot of love.

Spending time on the Island, showing friends around and catchng up with old friends and neighbours has made me think very hard about where in the world I want to be. I feel very strongly drawn to coming home to the Island but would miss my friends and connections in London terribly too. In the meantime I have been travelling around the Island gathering inspiration for a few patterns which I hope to share with you as the year goes on.

More shortly...

11 comments:

YarnAddictAnni said...

Great to see you back in the blogging world, Jane. I've missed your blog posts. I hope you'll get back to blogging regularly. And i'm sorry for the loss of your father.

Living in a more remote part of the country is lovely but there are times I wish I lived near larger cities and more centrally as I think I'd have more teaching opportunities. I love visiting London but there is no way I could live there.

Roobeedoo said...

Welcome back to blogland!
I've missed your socks! :)

littlelixie said...

Laura's face in that picture is just amazing! Good luck with the business side of things x

Rosie said...

I'm so happy that you're "back", but sad to hear about your father.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new ventures.

Nikki said...

It's always a delight to see your blog pop up in my google reader!

Best of luck to you in your fiber endeavors. If you weren't quite so far away I'd gladly come take a class from you...

Rani said...

"friends, tin cans, buttons, a pirate and a whole lot of love" sounds like a dream wedding to me. So glad you're back. I started following your blog . . . well, maybe just about a year ago! Ha! Can't wait to see your yarny adventures.
and now I'm off to look up the Isle of Wight. I'm from a little town in Minnesota. Not well versed in my English geography.

Bells said...

oh there you are! Sounds like you've been undertaking some special, meanignful and important time of reflecting!

Sue said...

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your Father. But glad to see you back.I have missed your posts. We visit the Isle of Wight every year as our son and 2 grandsons live there. I could be very tempted to move there.

Rose Red said...

Nice to see you back. Sorry. To hear about your dad and having to sell his house, that's another big heart wrench on top of losing him.

Hope the teaching and other yarny related ventures work out, I think it's the dream of all serious crafters to make a living from it.

Ellen said...

Hi Jane
Welcome back. Such a lovely wedding photo! I am so sorry to hear about your father but Best of luck with your new venture; I look forward to hearing more about your classes.

Regards
Ellen

tea and cake said...

Lovely to see you back, I have missed you!
It is sad to read that you lost your dad x
But, glad to hear we will be reading about your new adventures.