Monday, 5 September 2011

Made with Love

Today's blog post is a little bit different. I'm going to show you the beautiful work of other people and share with you how very privileged I feel that they have chosen to show their love for me with the gift of the work of their hands.

First, look at this felted bag that my sister has made for me. It started life as a waistcoat that she found in a charity shop. 

The embellishments are all individually hand stitched, not just to attach them to the bag but to change their texture and add detail.

I am completely in awe of the evenness of her tiny stitches - none of this has been done by machine.

Of course, it has to become my project bag - that way I get to keep it with me always without putting it under too much stress - this is the sort of gift that needs to be used for years to come.

I'm incredibly proud of my sister's skill but also feel so warm inside that she chose to spend so many hours making something this beautiful for me - I will treasure it.

I have been very lucky indeed this week as yesterday I received these in the post.

No ordinary sock blockers but blockers made from beautiful Australian cypress wood by my friend Leon. They have no oil or varnish but the finish of them is like satin because he sanded them over and over again until they were perfect. No embellishments, nothing added - just the natural wood and a dear friend determined to make me something to the very best of his ability.

As someone who makes things by hand herself I can think of nothing better than receiving handmade gifts from loved ones. Both my sister and Leon love to wear jumpers and socks that I have made them and every time I use these beautiful things I will think of them and the time they spent with me in mind, making something beautiful to show their care.

I'm so lucky.

8 comments:

RooKnits said...

Gorgeous presents Jane. Something made by hand is so special and it is fabulous that you, your sister and Leon all appreciate that.

Rose Red said...

Gorgeous things, both of them. Handmade gifts are so special aren't they.

Chrisknits said...

OH wow! They are each lovely in their own way. That bag is just darling!!

Twelfthknit said...

That bag is gorgeous :0)

Bernardeena said...

What a lovely bag! Homemade presents are so lovely to receive.

Jenny said...

You are so lucky to have such a beautiful bag. It is really lovely.

Promosyon said...

It look really awesome.In this bad embroidery work really good looking.It awesome extra ordinary work.

agujasblog said...

The bag is so beautiful! And you're right that the stitching adds another creative element.