Monday, 8 August 2011

Back to stripes

After a brief detour I am now firmly back with my stripe obsession and despite the attack of castonitis that I seem to have fallen prey to recently I am pleased to say that I have finally managed to finish something.

I have noticed that I can occasionally suffer from a strange malaise such that I will work on four or five projects at once with all of them reaching quite an advanced stage of completion but find it really hard to decide to concentrate on one and get it finished. Perhaps I get rather too attached to my projects as projects rather than thinking about them as the finished thing and can't bear to finish those final few rows. I don't think it's because I'm worried that they aren't going to turn out well but I do sometimes have a really sad pang as I cast off that final stitch and they go from being my knitting to being a garment. Any knitters out there got any clue what I mean? Or is it just me?

Anyway, less of the rambling - I have something I have managed to finish to show you. This is Taygete, a two colour, triangular shawl, one of the Seven Small Shawls collection by Romy Hill.

It takes me a very long time to decide on a colour combination and I don't always make particularly traditional choices. The yarn in this case is Clan by the Yarn Yard in a warm pinky, purply brown paired with a very pale but quite warm pink. The pink really isn't my sort of colour but I am learning that I need colours in my stash that I may not be keen on in their own right but can have a quite astonishing effect when paired with another. As a pair I have really fallen in love with this combination as it gives a very feminine feel to the brown without making it too frou frou and girly.

Taygete has quite an interesting construction, the stripy garter stitch section starting at one side, increasing towards the middle and then decreased to match on the other side.

A lace border in the main colour is then added by picking up the loops along the two shorter sides of the triangle. Finally a picot border in the contrast colour is added all the way around the shawl.

In general I'm really pleased with the shawl. It took two full skeins of the brown and a skein and a half of the pink and has worked out as quite a substantial piece. Garter stitch has very good stretch. I like the way that it looks as interesting on the back as it does on the front. My only minor disappointment is that there is a tendency for the lower edge of the lace to roll up. I also have to admit that my blocking of the picot edge might not have been as uniform as it could be - and it shows. I'm hoping that it's a case of unearthing the blocking wires and giving it another good thorough, even reblocking.

I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Magic Cochin said...

I know exactly what you mean. I love complicated knitting but I prefer plainer garments!

I like these colours very much - very elegant and subtle.

Celia

Chrisknits said...

I tend to work on a bunch of FOs because I get tired of the current WIPs and have to start something new to relieve the boredom!!! It's a chore to go back and finish them! Love your shawl. It has been on my list for a while now. Maybe I should start one???

Yarna said...

I know exactly what you mean! I think I am a bit of a process knitter and sometimes feel a bit sad when the process comes to an end. And occasionally disappointed because the end garment doesn't quite turn out how I expected it to!

knitabulous said...

I absolutely love this. The colours are simply amazing.

And it's not just you, we all have our little knitty idiosynchrasies I think. Maybe the the repetitive nature of knitting draws particular (delightful)kinds of obsessive personalities to it? I'm a chronic overthinker, and so knitting provides so many opportunities for me to enjoy myself in that regard.

drkknits said...

that looks intriguing! ive knitted celaeno from that collection, a real delight. gorgeous colours.