Friday, 8 July 2011

Rocking out with a Flying V

Yes, the stripy knits just keep on coming!

Today's offering is Different Lines, another shawl by Veera Valimaki, the same designer responsible for the Stripe Study Shawl. It has her trademark short row shaping but is worked sideways from one point this time creating a shawl which is triangular like a Flying V guitar or a paper dart.

It makes it very interesting to wear as there are all kinds of possibilities in the way that it can be draped. it does make me wish I was a little more soigne and elegant as I can leave the house with it looking just the way I want it and by the time I have reached the bus stop it's trailing behind me or I'm asking someone on the bus to retrieve the other half of my shawl pin which has landed between their feet.

This time I wanted a lighter, more drapy shawl so I went for Yarn Yard Toddy which is a sock weight merino yarn in a solid grey and a semi solid hot pink and used a 4mm circular needle.

I like the gentle variegation in the pink as it softens the very graphic style of this shawl. My version of the shawl has two extra pink stripes as I wanted to use every scrap of the pink.

People have asked me whether I found so much garter stitch tedious to knit. To be honest, from a process point of view this project is saved from being a completely mindless knit by the short rows. As every row begins with ten, then twenty stitches etc etc the stripe starts to build quite quickly which is more than can be said for the four inches of grey border at the end. There's no getting away from it - it's dull, dull knitting. However, it's absolutely perfect for taking away for the weekend to the Isle of Wight Festival where I could knit along quite happily, chatting to my friends and listening to Seasick Steve, Iggy and the Stooges and Pulp.

Had to put it down when the Foo Fighters came on though - was dropping stitches!

4 comments:

coop said...

Another lovely shawl! I was also at the Isle of Wight festival, I wish I'd have spotted you knitting, I was also knitting to Iggy and Pulp ect!

Chrisknits said...

You're going to have to stop this! I can't add anymore shawls to my queue. Or can I? Lovely.

Braydon said...

nice shawl looking pretty good and the comments too
===========
non voice projects

drkknits said...

yum yum yum! mine is red and grey and i LOVE yours in the pink too. i never found it boring either, i was anxious to get it finished to wear it thats all. theres something really relaxing about garter stitch i think.