Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Flying Buttresses

The next shawl in my series of stripy projects was a very speedy knit. Dream Stripes by Cailliau Berangere in some Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4ply in Shrew and Barley. I modified the pattern slightly, giving it a small garter stitch border and emphasising the centre line with yarnovers rather that lifted increases to give the shawl a little more fluidity.

I'm really pleased with the colour combination especially as on their own these colours are both, well a bit dull. Especially Shrew as I have to say the Rowan yarn naming people were absolutely spot on with their description - it is exactly the shade of a little brownish grey , scuttling creature... shudder....

So how come you have it in your stash? I hear you ask. Good point. It might have something to do with a strange disorder which used to come over me in the days when Rowan did really good, woolly wools. It was known as the All Discontinued Rowan Must Be Rescued And Come To Live In My House Syndrome. Yes, even the colours that nobody else wants - because it's half price, it's Rowan and it's DISCONTINUED!! The large bags of Rowanspun, Yorkshire Tweed and Scottish Tweed are witness to my efforts on their behalf.

Imagine my joy when rummaging in my stash for likely striped shawl partners I came up with this two. I think the grey and cream highlight each other very well. The grey lace edge makes me think of ornate Gothic architecture hence the title of this post.

I am looking forward to combing my stash for more unlikely combination in my ongoing attempts to justify my yarn stashing habits.

6 comments:

Chrisknits said...

Been watching your stripes. Now I must knit the Dream Stripes. Why do all these bloggers keep grabbing my attention!! I am like a kid in a candy store, I can't choose just one! Lovely work.

Rose Red said...

I am guilty of the same Rowan discontinued yarn sale buy up etc. Although I didn't buy any good neutrals like you, so I have 2or 3 balls in a range of colours which probably won't work well together like these two!

Yarna said...

I sometimes think that geometric stripes and lace look a bit discordant but this is stunning! The colours work really well with the pattern.

drkknits said...

can you ever have too much rowan really? i think these colours are gorgeous together, and perfect for that shawl. i can see you getting lots of wear out of it!

Kate said...

What a lovely shawl - and as a fellow-sufferer from the syndrome, I actualy like those colours anyway. I might even have bought them when they were current...

reflexoterapia podal said...

I just now was going to review your blog and then claim which Prefer savored digesting your blog article in this case. It had been incredibly interesting and that i in addition delicious how you develop! Continue and Sad come back to learn to read much more before long companion