Monday, 4 July 2011

Earning my stripes

Recently I have become somewhat obsessed with knitting stripes. There seem to be a huge number of new patterns for shawls in particular which involve using two colours of yarn creatively - this usually involves a measure of striping.

The fun starts with deciding which colours go together.... For me that can be quite a drawn out process - I have to be able to see a combination in my mind's eye and be satisfied that the combination makes each colour more 'itself' than on its own such that I can't stop looking at it.


If you could see my coffee table at the moment you would see baskets of yarn, overflowing with colours that I keep moving around until a combination jumps out at me as just right. Of course, as in the case of this shawl, a neutral and an acid colour are an easy partnership. Lime green also happens to be one of my favourite colours.



The shawl pattern that I chose was the Stripe Study Shawl by Veera Valimaki as its asymmetric shape and use of short rows to vary the shape of the stripes was very appealing both in terms of process with the short rows breaking up the prospect of knitting enormous, mind numbing swathes of garter stitch and with the visual impact. I love its clean, graphic lines.


The yarn is Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool, which, whilst somewhat heavier than the recommended yarn has enough drape to work for this project.




I think the end result is quite effective. I love the quirky, asymmetric style of the piece which also makes it surprisingly easy to wear.

Over the next few days I will share with you how severe my obsession with stripes has become...

5 comments:

Bells said...

oh that's a good way to do the colour selection - have balls of yarn around trying different combinations. Sitting with it for a while seems like the way to go. Thanks for that tip.

Looking forward to your stripe obsession descriptions!

drkknits said...

i love my stripe study. in fact, im wearing it now. it pretty much blew my mind how clever and easy it was to knit. and great choice of yarn! gorgeous.

Rose Red said...

It is such a great pattern, that shawl. Love the colours you've chosen, they really do sing together. I am thinking about making one in an 8ply/dk weight yarn - the thought of a lovely huge wrap is so appealing right now (it's freezing wind here today!)
And snap! I'm doing stripes at the moment too! we can have a stripe-along!

Magic Cochin said...

Have you tried basing stripe colour combos on favourite places/things/views?

I always have a picture in my minds eye when I work out stripes.

Love that shawl - perfect for summer evenings in the garden.

Celia

Jody said...

I do love your shawl - and recently bought that pattern!!!! Small world. Your work is inspiring -