For this yarn I was looking for a pattern which made the most of the yarn which is why when I saw Citron from Knitty I knew it was just the thing. I was also looking for a nice relaxing knit to see me through the Christmas week amongst the distractions of a lively family and this, with its huge swathes of stocking stitch was a good choice.
The shawlette starts from the back of the neck and radiates out through rows of increases followed by ruched sections when each stitch is effectively doubled so I started of with great gusto, making good progress and enjoying the way the yarn and pattern worked together really well.
However, it wasn't long before I was working on rows containing many hundreds of stitches and a ball of yarn which never seemed to get any smaller. I had planned to make my Citron a little larger than the original so had to accept that the rows would get ever more insanely long.
Casting off 800 stitches was almost an evening's entertainment in itself. The finished article (above) reminded me of a sea anemone or an exotic fungus so I gave it a good severe blocking. Now I'm wondering whether I have been a little too severe as although there is still a clear demarcation between the ridges, the ruched stripes have, quite frankly lost their ruchiness.