Friday, 17 September 2010

A Clean Start

I really have no explanation for why it has taken me so long to return to this blog - probably the longest interval since I started writing. Blame the summer and the lure of the great outdoors.

I think it is fair to say that summer in London is drawing to a close. I believe I have eaten my last home grown red tomatoes and the morning was chilly enough for me to reach for a pair of warm woolly socks from my sadly depleted sock drawer.

Some rummaging in the laundry bag later the reason became clear - a significant backlog on the sock washing front. I know that much sock yarn is perfectly safe to be machine washed but I prefer to wash my hand knitted socks by hand - I think they do stay looking better for longer and having spent so much time in making them I do feel a great deal more responsibility towards them than if they were shop bought.

So there you have it - celebrating the turn of the season with 25 freshly washed, line dried pairs of socks. I think I might even be looking forward to autumn - just a little bit.

14 comments:

Panhandle Jane said...

What a great picture!

Alicia said...

What beautiful socks!!!!

Rani said...

HAHAHAAAA!! What must the neighbors think! Lovely.

marylove said...

love this picture!

marylove said...

love this picture!

LynS said...

Sooo impressive! A sequence of socks.

Joy said...

What a wonderfully cheery photo Jane :-)

And I fear summer is over here too, we have a beautifully sunny day but warm it isn't.

Rose Red said...

Ha ha! I do the same thing, but I can't say I've got 25 pairs!! Great photo!

WildeThymeKnits said...

Great image! I too wash my handknit socks by hand.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

I'm so-o-o-o jealous of your sock collection!!!

knit nurse said...

Nice to see such a range! I too celebrated the return to woolly socks today, although I can't say I'm looking forward to the handwashing!

Lily said...

What a great picture. Is it sad that I am trying to work out what patterns you used for the socks?

Anni said...

Wow, I could do with all those socks. My sock drawer is almost empty and no time to knit any for myself alhtough I have two pairs on the needles.

Anonymous said...

Quite a group of interesting colors on that clothes line. A fun, old fashioned time hanging them out to dry. When enough worn socks gather we wash them in cold water in the machine and hang them to dry, but inside, not far from the furnace... they turn out ok....with all the love and work that went into them we want to wear them for a few years! Am working on a back up pair of bed socks....those bedsheets are chilly now. I like to knit them as they do not have elastic that will cut into the flesh.