Thursday, 8 July 2010

Tunnel Vision

Well hello! And how is everybody? Me? I'm just fine although I am rather chastened by my lack of blogging recently. It's not that I haven't been busy doing interesting and blogworthy things it's just that I haven't had the energy to write and tell you all about them.

I will try to make brief amends today. You may be surprised to know that I have maintained my focus and am still keeping up with the 52 pair plunge. We are 5 weeks into the challenge and I have completed six pairs of socks. Don't ask me how it happened.

First of all I have a pair of mansocks which in all honestly have been sitting on the needles two thirds finished for a very long time so they were easy pickings. They are knitted in Opal 4ply although I have not managed to locate the ball band so can't tell you what the shade name or number is. Having been used to knitting with hand dyed yarns I did notice that the yarn was a little less pleasant to work with but I'm sure I read somewhere that the yarn has a light coating on it for ease of knitting which is removed by the first wash leaving the finished sock soft and fluffy. I've also found this yarn to be extremely hard wearing and durable.


Next up is my first contribution to the Makin' Cookies Knitalong on Ravelry. I'm a bit of a stranger to formal knitalongs and at first I was a little bamboozled by the acres of rules which I was expected to read and inwardly digest. However, once I started posting comments and pictures I found it to be a very welcoming place to be and have enjoyed the banter and encouragement.

This month's sock has been Milo by Cookie A and whilst reasonably complex turned out to be quite intuitive and quick to knit. The yarn I chose is Nature's Palette in Autumn Leaves which meant I was also able to enter it into another Knitalong where participants are assigned a colour with which to knit any socks they like that month. Much quite amusing debate ensues about when is an orange yarn orange enough but I was relieved to note that my apricot yarn passed muster! I am very pleased with how they came out and grateful to everyone for their kind comments and encouragement.

And finally, on this week's catch up post allow me to present my Ruby Slippers knit in Yarn Yard Clan Rhododendron club yarn. These socks are knit using a construction method that I am not familiar with. They start from the toe up and the gusset expansion happens between the lines of cable on the bridge of the foot followed by the sort of flap and gusset for toe ups heel that I am used to.
All in all I am having a wonderful time knitting away on my various challenges and I haven't become bored by sock knitting yet. What I am discovering is a lot more enthusiastic, friendly knitters as well as huge numbers of new patterns by designers I am as yet unfamiliar with. I would like my annual tally of socks (however many there might end up being) to reflect the diversity of sock knitting opportunities in terms of both pattern and yarn that are out there.
Speaking of yarn, I was fortunate enough to visit Woolfest a couple of weeks ago and decided to confine my shopping to sock yarns and came home with a beautiful bag full of coloured inspiration. I really must take a photo of them to show you.
Anyway, as you can imagine I have tons of socks in progress so next time will have more than enough to tell you - as long as I'm not too busy knitting.

9 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

52 pairs in 52 weeks?????? barking! barking I tell you! No wonder you don't have much time for blogging. (They do look gorgeous tho', I lurve the ruby slippers)

minniemoll said...

I'm very impressed! There's no way I could do a pair of socks a week all year - I might manage a couple, but then I'd get bored. I am trying to knit twelve garments this year, and not doing too badly on that one though, even if I am currently distracted by weaving....

It was lovely to see you at Woolfest :)

LittleBerry said...

52 pairs in 52 weeks thats some going.....

I like the orange / apricot pattern... I'm still only knitting self patterning plain socks well when I'm not crocheting!

Kathy said...

I am amazed that anyone can keep up with the 52 sock plunge. I'm trying to get myself inspired with some other sock knitalongs. A pair a month is my goal...

Knitting Out Loud said...

During the American Civil War some towns had self-imposed sock quotas (the men of each town fought together, but 600,000 men died in the Civil War and some towns lost all their working age men, so that was changed after the Civil War). I was in a small town in New England in which all the 12 year old boys had to knit a pair of socks a week.

drkknits said...

i can not get my head around your sock output, i dont think ive finished one pair all year! must rectify that immediately!

Anni said...

Gorgeoussocks. Love the bright pink ones. Opal is not the nicest yarn ot knit with but they last forever.

I could do with 52 pairs of socks as my sock drawer is virtually empty. I need to knit up some before the winter comes. If only I had the time. I'm planning acouple of pairs for beach knitting when we go to spain in August. Socks are fantastic for knitting on the beach. had a lot of interested comments and looks from Spanish ladies last year when I knitted socks on the beach. I assume they were impressed although my Spanish is not good. LOL.

pip said...

fabulous socks :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.