Tuesday, 13 July 2010

I get knocked down....

....But I get up again...

Today's post, whilst still vaguely about sock knitting is really more about the place that knitting has in my life and how it helps me manage the stresses and strains of a responsible job in a busy urban environment. I know that I don't talk much about my life outside my knitting on this blog and this remains my overall intention but nobody does anything in complete isolation so I wanted to tell you a bit about last week.

Last Tuesday I failed my driving test. Again. This is extremely frustrating as my driving standard is good enough to pass, I just get very nervous on the day and make the silliest of errors. This time was no different so I started the long slink back to work with my well groomed tail well and truly between my legs then remembered that my route to work (creatively planned) could include Loop's new shop in Camden Passage. I didn't think it was unreasonable to console myself with a little treat.

Loop is certainly the place for treats and in the end I chose some rather posh handmaiden Casbah in a shade that reminded me of those pieces of glass that are washed up on the beach by the tide, translucent and smooth. This heady mixture of merino, silk and cashmere felt so consoling...

I decided to join the Serpentine Sock, another pattern from Wendy Johnson's first toe up book knitalong which is designed for sport weight yarn on 2.75 mm needles as the yardage on this yarn was quite low and if I knit the big size on 2.5mm I reckoned I had a viable combination.

You can see what I mean about the shade in this photo of the sole of the foot.


I don't think the colours detract from the flow of the stitch pattern.


This was a very quick and satisfying knit which produced a gloriously silky and soft fabric which I think will make perfect bedtime/lounging around the house socks. The fabric isn't as firm and robust as I would use for day to day wear.

It only took me five days to finish these socks and whilst they were a really good comfort project I have to say that I prefer the feel of a good robust sock yarn knit on small needles so have returned to my other projects with renewed enthusiasm.

I've also re booked my driving test.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Oh poor you, I failed 3 times and then passed so you will get there. I love your socks, beautiful yarn to knit them in, a deserved consolation.

minniemoll said...

Oh, I'm sorry about the driving test! I'm sure you'll get there.

And the socks look lovely - what gorgeous colours, and they set the pattern off beautifully. I love my Casbah socks, but the back of the heel does pill badly, so I tend to keep them for house socks these days.

Rose Red said...

Mmmmm Casbah is a lovely yarn - and the colour and pattern work beautifully together. I don't know, if that's the result of failing your driving test, then maybe you should keep failing ;-)

Bells said...

it's hard isn't it? I learned to drive long after all my friends and felt so clumsy about it on test day. Keep trying. You'll get there!

drkknits said...

5 days on a pair of socks. sigh. they look totally amazing. driving is way over rated anyway :)

littlelixie said...

I failed twice too. All the best people live up to the third time lucky mantra x

Rani said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! My niece failed hers 5 times. Same thing. She would freeze up! Absolutely go to nerves.

You will do it! And if not, at the very least, you can treat yourself to another delicious skein of a little something something.

The socks are charming. And I agree - the colorway is just subtle enough not to detract from the beautiful pattern.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Lovely socks!
Yes, you'll sail through next time. Especially with those socks under your belt.

Kathy said...

I prefer a more robust sock yarn, myself.

You will pass your driving test, I know you will. Try not to let yourself get so nervous about it. It is just a driving test, afterall. It isn't a life or death kind of thing. Now, if they were going to lop off a hand so you couldn't knit anymore, THAT would be different...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the driving test. But don't give up, you'll pass before you know it.

I know how you feel about having pretty yarn for a consolation prize. I comfort myself with new yarn purchases quite a bit.

Teresa

Anni said...

sorry about your test. A friend of mine got very nervous and failed several times. In the end she took 'Kalms' tablets and passed. Perhaps something like that to calm you down might work.

Love the yarn. Casbah is gorgeous. Beautiful socks.

tea and cake said...

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear about the driving test. I passed mine on the FOURTH attempt! Like you, I suffered with my nerves. So, for the last one I only had a half hour pre-test lesson (at my peak, instead of the whole hour) and, got some pills from the doc. This was twenty years ago and pills were the norm then. Though I suppose you could get something herbal (as in pills, not smoking!)
The socks are just gorgeous.

littlelixie said...

Hope the temp set back hasn't put you off blogging all together or something.

Just letting you know my blog has moved from lixieknitsit.blogspot.com to http://lixiemakesit.blogspot.com