Thursday, 17 June 2010

So far so good!

You will be pleased to know that sock knitting has been going on here in a big way. Surprisingly, I am even up to date on the 52 Pair Plunge! Last week's contribution was Diamonds and Cables from Wendy Johnson's new and very beguiling book knit in Yarn Yard Clan in the Kale colourway. I'm pleased with the combination of yarn and pattern.

In week three I got a little more ambitious. As part of the Anything Nancy Bush knitalong on Ravelry I chose Virve's Stockings from Folk Knitting in Estonia as I wanted to make something slightly more unusual. I also love the way that the coloured band appears at just the right spot between shoe and trouser.

I didn't have quite enough yarn to make them full knee socks - in fact I am quite pleased with my judgement as I finished both socks with a couple of feet a yarn to spare. This didn't stop me making contingency plans about different colour bands on the toes, however.

I am becoming a little more optimistic about my ability to give this challenge a good run for its money. I certainly have the speed and I certainly don't have to turn into some sort of reclusive sock knitting machine. While I was knitting these I spent four days in Wales and four days at the Isle of Wight Music Festival. Either I am becoming more brazen about knitting in public or it is possible to run a normal life while undertaking this foolish game.
We shall see.

13 comments:

natalie said...

Ahhhh. You are doing better than me, I've got three socks done, small matter of needing to dye enough yarn to supply the knitters!

Rose Red said...

I love the thought of ending a year with 52 more pairs of gandknit socks than I started with, but sadly I do not have the knitting speed or the time anymore for such an ambitious goal. But gosh I love seeing that it is possible! Another two gorgeous pairs for you!

Knitting Out Loud said...

Wow, quite a project! Gorgeous socks. Good luck!

Rani said...

Oh, but you are fast! I brought my knitting to a little lacrosse game last night and it was about a million degrees with no wind. I just couldn't pull out the wool and start knitting in public. Just too too weird. (and hot)

The socks are gorgeous!! I might have to try that second one with the color band. Do they go over the heel - do they get a bit tight?

drkknits said...

oh what beautiful socks, such gorgeous patterns and yarns, and so beautifully knit. quite a challenge, cant wait to see the final montage at the end of the year!

LynS said...

Congratulations on your output. The 52 pairs seemed so impossible, but I'm beginning to think you'll achieve the miraculous. I so love those Nancy Bush socks. They're definitely going into my queue.

bellsknits.com said...

it's an incredible goal and one I'd love to give a go.....next year!

littlelixie said...

Can not believe you are doing the 52 plunge!

Jane@WildeThymeKnits said...

Wow, what a goal.....and two beautiful pairs of socks too. Good luck!

Kathy said...

I love this sock knitting! I wish I could do a pair of socks in 2 weeks. I'm thinking about seeing how fast I can knit a pair after I get some lingering projects done. And I need more socks...

Linda said...

They are both lovely. I do like the colourwork on the purple socks.

Roobeedoo said...

Stop that! I do NOT need another sock pattern book! Those kale socks are just lovely. And the purple ones!

slipstreamfiberarts said...

I love those socks with the band of colour--very striking and unusual.