Thursday, 13 May 2010

The Australia Diaries Part 5 - 56 jars of chutney

After the excitement of my travels it was lovely to get back to Leon and Cathy's house in the bush and spend a few days indulging in more domestic pursuits. In Australia, April marks the beginning of autumn so we spent time in the garden making sure every last bit of the harvest was gathered in before the cold weather.


Tomato plants were stripped and yielded this rather motley collection of unripe fruit.


Which we turned into this:



Added an eye watering quantity of this:

Cooked them up with herbs and spices and all good things to make this: Green tomato chutney.

56 jars of it!

Apparently, I was a little generous with the chili on the first batch so it isn't for the faint hearted. I relented in subsequent boilings and produced a much less exciting brew which is perfectly safe for children and those of a nervous disposition....
Here is the recipe as best as I can remember it.
Nola's Green Tomato Chutney
6lbs green tomatoes
2lbs onions
1lb sugar
cinnamon, cloves and allspice tied up in muslin bag
3pints white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more if you dare)
1 cup flour
Method
Boil tomatoes, onions and vinegar (reserving a small amount of vinegar for later) with muslin bag of spices for 20 minutes. Add sugar and boil for another hour. Mix remaining ingredients to a paste with reserved vinegar, stir in until thickened.
Bottle in sterilised jars.
In knitting news I finished the Wandering the Moors Shawl. I really like the way it has turned out. I also had a huge amount of yarn left over. The feel is light and airy with no areas of significant over twist or over plying so it is still obviously hand spun .

Of course, I can never be without knitting in my hand so I will show you my next travel project very soon!

4 comments:

drkknits said...

oh how i love a tomato chutney! hope you got to take some home with you! lovely work on the shawl.

Karen said...

OMG. Fify-six jars of chutney. You're awesome, Jane!!!! Love the knitting!

Linda said...

Thank you so much for that recipe, I love Green Tomato chutney! The shawl is lovely colours and looks so cosy.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Love the recipe! And the photos. And the idea of being in the bush.