Sunday, 21 March 2010

Something Beautiful

I was just thinking back to when I started this blog and how I said that I wanted it to be a record of how I developed as a knitter in terms of skills and confidence. As a blog it has turned into much more than this. It has become a place where I have met lots of wonderful and encouraging fellow knitters such as the lovely Lyn from the Shades of Grey blog who I was lucky enough to meet in person during her brief recent stay in London.

It has been a place to keep in touch with knitters who have become friends over the years through events like Skipnorth which I was lucky enough to attend again this year and will tell you about very soon but today I wanted to talk about how sometimes my knitting reminds me of the reason I started the blog in the first place.

I have always been a little intimidated by lace knitting. Not the lace itself but the process of knitting with ultra fine yarn but I have been determined this year to persevere. The Bitterroot pattern in Knitty seemed the ideal project to kick start my lace knitting as it is in fact a reasonably simple, very intuitive pattern.....and it has beads....

The yarn I chose is (I understand) the classic workhorse of the lace knitter, Jaggerspun Zephyr, a merino silk 2ply lace weight in a gorgeous deep purple called Plum. The beads are 4mm seed beads in an iridescent purple.


I found the knitting pretty straightforward and the bead placement not as difficult as I feared although I expect I am dreadfully slow and cackhanded bit I got there in the end.

It was very difficult to see how things would turn out while the shawl was on the needles but once I had blocked it the garment was totally transformed.

I have to say that I think it is one of the most beautiful thinks I have knitted. The beads just around the edge give it a wonderful weight and drape.


The simplicity of the pattern comes into its own as the changes flow beautifully one into the other.

And another close up to show off the beading.

Can you tell I enjoyed this project? I am itching to cast on more lace but I have a whole lot of projects very close to completion that I will be showing you over the next few days.
Do you think I can hold out?

14 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

that is totally fabulous!!

Linda said...

Beautiful. You should be very pleased with your work.

Rose Red said...

Lace knitting is utterly addictive isn't it - amazing that such beauty can be made with sticks and strings! And blocking is the best magic ever!

Your lace is beautiful!

mildawg said...

it's beautiful! Look how it shines in the light!

ariarossa said...

Ma รจ stupendo e tu sei bravissima, complimenti!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful - Torreyana in the new Knitty also has beads and is a bit more challenging
jenny

RooKnits said...

Stunning Jane, I think this is one I definitely have to knit.

Jane said...

I adore it.....and not just because you've knitted it in my favourite colour!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, its gorgeous. I've just got into lace knitting and am really enjoying it

Anita

Kathy said...

You must hold out! I am not always good at that, myself. I have a bunch of small projects that I determined I am going to finish. It is ridiculous to have so many small projects to finish. If you hold out and finish, maybe I can, too!

That shade of purple is perfect. I love it. Lace is so beautiful!

LynS said...

Thank you so much for making the time to meet with me while I was in London - I'm hoping to see you in Sydney - soon.

If I had to decide I think you'll choose to finish your projects and leave working on another piece of so beautiful lace-knitting till you have longer stretches of uninterrupted time. But maybe I'm wrong.

Linda said...

Its so beautiful. I am inspired to do some lace now!

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

Anni said...

That is gorgeous. Lace knitting is as addictive as sock knitting and the best way to get used to thin yarn is to gradually go thinner and thinner. Did you use crochet hook ot add the beads or did you thread them all on before you started? I always use crochet hook method as it's so much quicker and although it feels strange and awkward to start with you get better at it with practice.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Beautiful!!!