Thursday, 25 March 2010

A journey of a few thousand stitches

Yes, it's that time of year again - the annual Skipnorth adventure has come and gone in a flurry of needles, yarn, wheels and fibre. This is the fourth time I've had the privilege of spending a long weekend with a group of knitters, crocheters and spinners from all over the UK who converge on the Youth Hostel in Haworth to share and enjoy love of the textile arts.

As you can see the weather and accommodation was grand.



The youth hostel is a converted Edwardian mansion built by someone who made their fortune in the wool trade which seems rather appropriate. Many of the original features have been retained such as these lovely painted glass doors.

The detail and colours are lovely.

The views across the valley on a lovely sunny day also speak of Yorkshire's woollen industry heritage.

With snowdrops in the garden confirming the turn in the seasons.

This year I think we managed a really good balance of skills sharing - I thouroughly enjoyed teaching easy colour skills to a lovely group of easy going knitters, learning how to make wet felt and enjoying an enthusiastic presentation from an alpaca farmer and of course, shopping.
Here is one of our closely guarded secrets (don't breathe a word to anyone...) which sells mill ends often at half their full price.
You will be amazed to know that I decided I really didn't need any more wool and spent time exploring and photographing their yard.
Next another one of our secrets - the Bombay Stores - an absolute Aladdin's cave of things shiny - I may have been followed home by some beads and fat quarters of silk from here. I also invested in all the spices I could need in a year for £20 at the neighbouring Haq's supermarket - my kitchen is becoming as colourful as my yarn stash.

And of course there was knitting. On the long car journey I started casting off all 600 stitches of my Damson shawlette.

By the time we arrived I had just about finished...
I blocked it this last weekend and have to say it was worth all those stitches - this wishbone shaped shawl really sits on the shoulders beautifully and having worn it for the first time makes just the right splash of colour against a grey dress and trousers. Of course I now want one in every colour.
It did have a little help from a pair of red shoes though...

7 comments:

mildawg said...

Wow! Very impressive shawlette. Great job!

CCK said...

Yes to the red!

Bells said...

oh thank you for posting that picture. i stayed there in 1998 - it brought back so many memories!

Kathy said...

Wow. What beautiful pictures! And how strong you were to resist the wool!

picperfic said...

Wowee, what gorgeous photos, I may even get there myself next year!

Oh and I have just bought you from the Yarn Yard, amazingly, you fitted through my letterbox and are very squishy!

Linda said...

That looks a fab trip, thank you for showing us pictures! Damson is beautiful.

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

Jenny said...

What a great youth hostel, and what a great trip! Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun.