Monday, 29 March 2010

Fin

This is the last of my 'catching up with myself' posts where I am showing you pieces that I have finally finished despite my parallel knitting habits. I have noticed this happens with my knitting quite often - I will have several projects on the go and either by chance or design, I end up finishing them at around the same time.

Having joined Ilga Leja's International Year of the Scarf Club I really wanted to finish the first couple before the end of March or I would be seriously behind! Friends at Skipnorth would have seen me quite monogamously beavering away on the Austria Scarf and I was delighted to discover that I finished all the required sections a day before I was due to come home. I them tried it on in the way that I think it looks most attractive, wrapped around twice as a neck piece. Unfortunately I am not blessed with the most swan like neck so instead of elegant ripples of fabric draped around my shoulders it looked as if a boa constrictor had me firmly by the throat. There was nothing for it but to knit on so I added a further section of stripes until my ball of grey yarn ran out.

I'm very glad I did as I wore it to work the other day and had several compliments. It's unusual, very easy to wear and extremely soft and comfortable.

Spurred on by this success I buckled down and tackled the final foot of my now outrageously long up sized Austria Scarf. I have also worn it to work and it is certainly a dramatic piece. I have to keep my wits about me not to get it caught in tube train doors or let it trail in puddles. Having said that it is also very versatile and once again extremely soft against the skin.


And here is a close up of the dramatic cabling on the end of the scarf.



You will be impressed to know that I have started the March scarf, Scotland but have only made a few inches of progress so far. Once again, because I have made it a rule to knit only from stash for this project it will look quite different from the original. I may, however fall behind again as the April scarf is almost upon us and I am about to head off to Australia for most of April. Now I could take a pile of works in progress with me and get them finished off but that wouldn't be any fun would it?I am taking all new projects to make sure that I get the maximum knitting enjoyment per gram of my luggage - no partly finished passengers in my crush packed rucksack!

Now the sharp eyed amongst you will know why I am posting this entry at a quarter to six in the morning! I am planning to keep blogging while I'm away as I have plenty of knitty and spinny plans for my stay and I can't wait to tell you all about them.

Better go and check my passport again....

13 comments:

Rose Red said...

A Visit To Australia! How exciting!! April is a good time, you should still get some good weather I hope!

RooKnits said...

Have a wonderful wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing the new wheel!

mildawg said...

Really cool projects!

Linda said...

Enjoy your trip. I love the cabled scarf!

http://leafgreenknits.wordpress.com/

elizabeth said...

Love that boa constrictor scarf! Is it twisted, a la mobius, or a flat tube?

Knitting Out Loud said...

Beautiful scarves! have a wonderful trip.

Moorecat said...

Beautiful scarves.

Coming to Melbourne? There are several groups to look in on:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitvic/?yguid=53415459

Moorecat said...

Oh, I forgot, ther'e also the Handweavers & Spinners Guild:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~handspin/

drkknits said...

i only just heard you were on your way down and as a lurker, i thought i should say hi and hope that we see you. i think we might :)

Anni said...

gorgeous scarves. Have a great time in Australia. Lucky you. Looking forward to seeing the yarn and fiber you bring back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.