Thursday, 18 February 2010

Tequila Sunrise

Today I have a story of a project from start to finish. Back in September 2009 I bought a lovely skein of lace weight Yarn from my friend Heather who dyes and ravels under the name of Sparkleduck. It was a bit special for both of us as it was the first time that Heather had sold any of her yarns at a festival and for me as I've only just plucked up the courage to start knitting with this sort of fine and delicate yarn. I would say that this is a medium lace weight, a lovely, soft merino and silk blend in a shade that she named Autumn Leaves.

For this yarn I was looking for a pattern which made the most of the yarn which is why when I saw Citron from Knitty I knew it was just the thing. I was also looking for a nice relaxing knit to see me through the Christmas week amongst the distractions of a lively family and this, with its huge swathes of stocking stitch was a good choice.

The shawlette starts from the back of the neck and radiates out through rows of increases followed by ruched sections when each stitch is effectively doubled so I started of with great gusto, making good progress and enjoying the way the yarn and pattern worked together really well.


However, it wasn't long before I was working on rows containing many hundreds of stitches and a ball of yarn which never seemed to get any smaller. I had planned to make my Citron a little larger than the original so had to accept that the rows would get ever more insanely long.


Casting off 800 stitches was almost an evening's entertainment in itself. The finished article (above) reminded me of a sea anemone or an exotic fungus so I gave it a good severe blocking. Now I'm wondering whether I have been a little too severe as although there is still a clear demarcation between the ridges, the ruched stripes have, quite frankly lost their ruchiness.

It is a good size, however and reminds me of a Tequila Sunrise.
I may wear it a few times and see how I feel and perhaps reblock it.

What do you think?

12 comments:

Katie said...

Normally I block things insanely, but in this case I think I'm agreeing with you, it would be nice to see the ruffles still.

natalie said...

Will it be big enough if you unblock it?
Very pretty yarn.

Rani said...

It's so pretty! The ruffles are really nice, but as natalie asked - will it be big enough?

Sally said...

I'd be inclined to give it a bit of a wearing first, I'd be surprised if it didn't relax a bit once worn and warmed. That might just be the happy medium.

Lovely knitting, as always.

bellsknits said...

yep, a vote for the ruffles here, too. Can we see it on to help you decide?

Anita Knits said...

I'm just coming to the last ruffle, and I'm toying with not blocking it except maybe give it a light press on the edges - what do you thins

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

it looks fab,don't block it!

Karen said...

I love it. I think it would be beautiful if you'd blocked it less and I think it's beautiful now. In short--it's like two different but lovely shawls. Take your pick!!

Anonymous said...

I think I like the blocked version best. It's hard to tell not seeing it in person though. I'd wear it and see if it drapes nicely and maybe relaxes. I found the ruchiness almost a bit much in the unblocked version.

Jane said...

Proabaly didn't require such a severe blocking (I too would have blocked severely as this is my norm) but 'we live and learn.' Still gorgeous though and very appropriately named. Those colours are just like a Tequila Sunrise!

Anni said...

That looks gorgeous Jane. Love the colours. You could try spitzing it with water to see if it'll relax it enough to re-introduce the ruffles rather than having to re-block it. I'm so used to blocking shawls to within an inch of their lives that I probably would have done the same thing.

Knitting Out Loud said...

They look like two different shawls. It depends on which one you like best!