Sunday, 14 February 2010

Dreams and Reality

Remember me? Anyone who doesn't know me well might be speculated as to whether I took the veil and stayed at the Nunnery. Anyone who does know me well would be laughing heartily at that idea.

The weekend in York was such a highlight I am still basking in the warm glow of it. Three gloriously sunny, bitingly cold days in a beautiful city in the company of two dozen of the most entertaining, inspiring, talented, warm and life enhancing people it has been my privilege to spend time with; some who were already friends,some I knew to talk to and some that I had never met before in my life all came together to create a really unforgettable weekend.

We didn't have much of a plan for the weekend, we just floated around, meeting up in small groups, larger groups, teaching each other bits and pieces, sharing, admiring, encouraging and above all laughing.

I had the chance for as much company as I wanted and also the opportunity to wander off on my own from time to time. The balance was just what I needed to get some space to think and plan and learn and be inspired to keep on building my skills and enjoying all the knitting community has to offer.

I don't think I am ever going to make the ranks of the superbloggers because I always forget to take photographs of knitting events with which to tell my story. Part of this is probably forgetfulness, it may partly be an awareness of the privacy of others and the fact that stepping behind a camera can put a distance between me and the group so, as usual here is a random selection of images that I took on a wander around York. Rather than the classic views I tend to prefer to look up at the quirkier objects from unusual angles which help me remember the individuality of a place.

It makes me smile that 1960's shop lettering is starting to look dated and interesting.


You can just make out on this faded sign an invitation to come and shop at a pork butchers and confectioners. Any suggestions for the sorts of products that might have been a speciality of the house? Ham bonbons? Bacon twists?

A more traditionally decorative shot but look at the man in all the knitwear -yes - it was that cold!


And a reminder of the importance of the wool industry to the history and economy of this part of the world.



Creating a prosperous and highly decorated city, even in the minor streets and alleyways.


One of the attractive aspects of York is the time span over which it has developed and the variety of architectural and decorative styles that still remain. This very modern and stylish bistro had made a feature of retaining some beautiful vintage stained glass windows.


Of course, there was an awful lot of knitting and crochet to be done. Natalie brought me my long looked forward to order of Saffron Clan and the sunny yellow was irresistible so I cast on a pair of gloves; Knotty Gloves, a free pattern by Julia Mueller. I was a little daunted but they have proved to be quite a simple knit although I have to admit that the fingers can get a little tedious - unless you have plenty of people to chat with while you are doing them. I romped through the first one in the company of my fellow knitters. I am embarrassed to say that having been home for two weeks I am still minus a thumb.....
I did confine myself to my bedroom to ensure that I managed the cable twist without error.
With the encouragement of my friend Judy I had a bit of an eureka moment when it comes to crochet. I had wanted to make a cotton bathmat for my newly tiled bathroom having had an alarming 'skating incident' emerging from the shower the other morning. I had a copy of 200 Ripple Stitches by Jan Eaton and chose an attractive pattern. I still need help with crochet instructions and also had no idea that a decrease stitch existed in Crochet. Once that was explained I was off like a shot!
I am using Pachuko Organic Cotton in Avocado and Coffee. These are natural plant colours which means that there s no dye to run and apparently the colours intensify with washing. We shall see...
I'm in the middle of sewing in ends right now but I will show you what it looks like in situ when I have spread a little rubber solution on the back to enhance its non slipability. I am such an ungainly creature I really can leave nothing to chance...
Right - back to the knitting. One of the dangers of spending the weekend with a group of knitters is that I am so inspired by their work I have had another attack of casting on....
May disappear under a pile of WIPs...

8 comments:

bagqueen said...

Welcome back, you sound like you had a fab time in York. I love that city I have a friend there, so I'm able to visit a few times a year. I love the gloves and the bath mat looks interesting, where do you get the rubber solution? I'd like to have a go at doing something like that. I did crochet a wool mat for my last house and was pleased with that, come to think of it I haven't seen that rug since we moved, now that's set me wondering!!

Rose Red said...

Thank you for sharing your photos of York - I loved it when I had the chance to visit (but my visit wasn't long enough, sadly).

I rarely take photos at knitting gatherings either, I think it's the thing about putting a barrier between you and others that stops me.

Your gloves and your crochet both look great.

LittleBerry said...

Nice photos of York details...

Nice to hear you all had a nice time... the gloves look great and so does the crochet

asatricosa said...

Love the photos, especially the one of the burnished, hoisted sheep. (btw, I suspect the so-called super-bloggers have very little time to knit)

Kathy said...

I was relieved to read you were going to apply some non-skid to the back. Slippery floors can be scary. I always love the picture you bring back. I love to see the buildings of different places.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Great orange gloves! Thank you for the wonderful photos of York. I worked on an archaeological dig there in the 70's and loved it.

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

Looks like a beautiful city... all that architecture to view.
The gloves are a nice vibrant colour.
Love the bath mat too.
Susan

missmalice said...

gorgeous gloves! sounds like an awesome time!