Sunday, 24 January 2010

Uncharacteristic single mindedness

Well, the least you can expect after a two week blogging silence is a finished article and I'm determined not to disappoint. May I present a complete pair of Ailbe Mittens knit in Yarn Yard Clan. They were a really enjoyable knit from start to finish (apart from the questionable grafting at the end but we won't dwell on that...) which is a good job because despite their innocent demeanor there is a heck of a lot of knitting in a pair of mittens made on 2mm needles!

Their other pleasing characteristic is the fact that they fit beautifully and are really comfortable to wear. This is all good as I am heading off to York on Friday to spend the weekend in a convent with twenty other knitters. Northern England in January! What a perfect showcase for knitted goods! How many hats, socks, scarves and mittens can a girl squeeze into her bag along with all the equipment I just might need for a weekend of knitting and spinning excitement.

Sorry - back to the mittens....


I think this yarn is perfect for this sort of project - the twisted stitches really stand out well and the fabric is really dense and soft. The main motif is quite complex but has a flow to it.

The ribbing is very simple but it's amazing to me how a few simple travelling stitches every so often can turn it into something quite beautiful and complex looking. I wouldn't mind a whole pair of mitts in this stitch pattern. Can't be that hard.....

Well, I think that's probably how far I can stretch the narrative over one pair of purple mittens. Fear not, there's another post around the corner where I will tell you all about this.

....and how I survived an eight hundred stitch cast off....

12 comments:

LynS said...

I love the discrete patterns made by travelling stitches - the mittens will give you such pleasure to wear. And I'm pleased to see the Citron - I'm trying to gather the courage to start it.

Mildawg said...

I love the mittens - they look fantastic in purple.

Anita Knits said...

Wow, they are gorgeous

Yvonne said...

Beautiful knitting, the cast off on Citron nearly killed me. Enjoy the convent, I stayed in one in York and the food was devine!

Ice Princess said...

I love your mittens, they are gorgeous!!!!!

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

Love the mittens so rich in detail.
The Convent weekend sounds wonderful, you'll be inspired to partake of blessed stitches...
Have fun.
Susan

Linda said...

The mitts are beautiful, such a lovel ystitch pattern. I like the look of the second knit, I think I want to make one of those!

LittleBerry said...

Beautiful mittens and the fine cable/travelling stitch is very delicate... the yarn is a pretty colour too

Kathy said...

If I had 800 stitches to cast off, I would get more giddy with every stitch. When I got done I would probably jump up and down, shouting 'Yes! I win! I win!'

Those mittens are so beautiful! The stitch definition is so wonderful.

Karen said...

Love, love the mittens. The pattern in stunning and the color so pretty. Good for you, Jane. Enjoy your knitting time away!

Knitting Out Loud said...

800 stitch cast on! Wow. The knitting retreat in York sounds lovely.

natalie said...

The stitch definition is superb, well done.
And I gather there may be a need for a long i-cord which ties them to you in York too!

So, what will you knit next?