Sunday, 10 January 2010

Still mitten smitten

Well it's still all about the mittens in my house. Must be the wind and snow that is making its presence felt across the UK at the moment because all I want to do is curl up on my sofa, watch the weather and make mittens!

First some good news - I finished the simple pair of mitts for my sister. I hope she likes them. Just to reiterate they are knit in Madeleine Tosh Tosh Sock and are my own design using a simple twisted stitch pattern. I am pleased with them and hope that Sue enjoys wearing them too. I could be persuaded to write up the pattern if people are interested.


Filled with enthusiasm I cast on another pair in Yarn Yard Clan in the Botanic shade using a slightly more complex stitch pattern. I was very pleased with the way the asymmetric ribbing led into the main body of the pattern but as the cuff progressed it became clear that this stitch pattern is a lot more yarn hungry and draws in the fabric more than the previous one so more stitches need to be added.

The mitt now looks like this again - waiting for a bit of a tweak to the design.



In the meantime my latest Yarn Yard Club Yarns arrived - this time a beautiful green and brown inspired by horse chestnut trees (and you know how much these trees mean to me) so I spent a lot of time gazing at it and planning what I might do with it. The highly contrasting shades were designed with colour work in mind but I felt that something was missing....

One of the blogs that I always enjoy visiting is Cornflower and it was when I read this entry that my problems was solved. A bit of nudity was all that was required to spice things up a bit!


From then on the pattern choice was quite easy. I have had Postwar Mittens from the Twist Collective in my queue for a long time and the colours seemed to have the slightly retro quality that I was looking for. I'm really pleased with the way the addition of a small amount of Nude Clan has brought the combination to life.

I spent quite a large part of my time over the weekend happily knitting away on these and am looking forward to picking them up again this evening. Isn't it lovely when you have a project you are enjoying so much it's hard to put down?

14 comments:

Cornflower said...

Jane, I'm so glad that I inadvertently nudged you in the right direction! Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Ice Princess said...

Brilliant as usual!!!!!! Look forward to seeing them finished....

LittleBerry said...

the mitts are lovely and the ribbing is exquisite on the Botanics clan mitt. I also love the colour combination of the post war mitts.

Linda said...

Thats lovely colour work Jane. I am in a bit of a crafting slump. Nothing is inspring me at the moment.

Kathy said...

I wish every project was the sort that you just couldn't put down. Wouldn't knitting be so much more fun? The other projects make us appreciate the fun ones, though. I love the contrast!

sussexyorkie said...

I am loving watching your mitten collection grow. You are a bad influence, thankfully I don't know which to knit first!

LynS said...

I think it would be wonderful if you were to write up the pattern you've used for your sister's mittens... is this persuasive?

I've really enjoyed using the Tosh Sock yarn - it has lovely stitch definition.

bellsknits said...

I've been eyeing off that pattern all week while I'm considering mittens. Your beginning is looking quite inspirational!

Jane said...

Beautiful colourwork!

Rani said...

Gosh, I would never have picked those colors, but seeing them together like that - GORGEOUS! The colors are so pretty together.

The cabled cuffs look realy good with that olive yarn. The color really shows off the pattern.

Knitting Out Loud said...

I agree with Rani, the colors are inspiring. Beautiful, beautiful mitten!

suzanne said...

I too have the mitten bug although mine are very simple. And crocheted rather than knitted. Love your mitts!

mildawg said...

I think your sister will love those mittens!

Anni said...

Love the colourwork mitens. Colours are perfect together. I've been planning some colourwork mittens for ages, just need some more time.