Friday, 1 January 2010

New Year Mittens

I've been nursing this yarn for some time,wanting to make something special with it. It's the November Yarn Yard Clan sock club offering and is my sort of semi solid with not only variation in tone but shade as well which knits up into a lovely heathered fabric.

Clan is a wonderfully smooth merino due to its eight strands to create a sock weight yarn so I knew that it would show patterns very well.


So I wound it and continued to look for a suitable pattern. I haven't knit much from Knitty recently, not because the patterns are anything but their usual high standard but nothing had been in the right place at the right time.

I had been thinking about doing something intricate with twisted stitches as I prepared to head back to the Isle of Wight for Christmas and the New Year when I knew I would have the time and liberty to spend concentrating on my knitting. Ailbe seemed to be the perfect pattern to match the yarn, and with its twisted motif and tiny needles to provide the challenge I was looking for.


It turns out, as it often does that these mittens, whilst time consuming are an easy and rewarding knit. The yarn lends itself beautifully to this sort of knitting.
Even so, I really couldn't go straight on to the second without a slight detour onto another project. I have been promising my sister a pair of fingerless mitts and found this yarn in my basket. It is Tosh Sock by Madeleine Tosh and is a souvenir from my trip to America in October. I bought it in Loop in Philadephia which is a well stocked, friendly shop with plenty of high end yarn to choose from. One of the lovely touches is that they offer to wind your new yarn for you as a matter of course. Much to the disappointment of my sister and niece and nephew who continue to fight for the privilege of winding my yarn.


I chose a stitch pattern from Twisted Stitch Knitting by Maria Erlbacher . This book is going to be a very useful resource for patterns for socks and gloves.

The stitch pattern I chose is quite fiddly but simple and classic.

To make the mitts as light and warm as possible I knot them on 2mm needles to give a very firm and windproof fabric.

Believe it or not, I have started the second one of these even though I have so many ideas in my head having spent time reading the book.
Do you think she'll like them?

14 comments:

Panhandle Jane said...

If she doesn't, you can send them to Texas. I like the mitts, and I think the yarn is gorgeous.

May I add that I really enjoy your posts--always.

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

fab fab colour!!

mildawg said...

The yarns are perfect for the projects!

LynS said...

I really like the fingerless mitts - are you thinking of writing them up? And I agree with mildawg - great matching of yarn and patterns.

Kathy said...

Of course she will!

Rose Red said...

Oh the Alibe mittens are just GORGEOUS! And I'm sure your sissy will love the mitts - how could she not??!!

Bells said...

oooh they are all fabulous. Perfect matches for great patterns. I'm just starting a pair of fair isle mittens today and feeling full of mitteny goodness!

Karen said...

The yarns are such a subtle but beautiful color. Sigh!

kathryn said...

I love your twisted mittens - both the knitty ones and your own design. And "Twisted Stitch knitting" has to be my favourite book of 2009!

Anonymous said...

nice article~....................................................

Jane said...

You temptress! The YYC yarn is divine and my favourite colour too!

Anni said...

Love the mittens. That book looks good .May have to get that one.

Linda said...

They are gorgeous gloves, I do believe she will love them greatly!

Anonymous said...

I ordered my copy of the twisted stitch book after reading about it here. It may be a bit beyond me technique-wise, but I can never resist a book about some sort of knitting I've never heard of. What a nice blog this is. I can't remember what I was searching for when I ended up here, but it was my lucky day! I also very much enjoyed the pictures of the Welsh knitters. The first woman has an interesting little hook in her dress holding her ball of yarn. And the skirt fabrics are so lovely. The knitting projects are all beautiful and quite inspiring.
Cynth, Iowa, US