Wednesday, 2 December 2009

When Ishbel was very young

...she looked like this. 100g of grey blue faced Leicester and silk over dyed in blue, green, pink and jade but with plenty of the natural colour showing through. The fibre was dyed by the lovely Marianne in her Etsy shop Fluffenstuff.


you can see from the predrafted fibre how well the colours blend with each other.

and this is how the yarn turned out. Maybe a little unevenly spun in places but overall a reasonably bouncy yarn which averaged out at about a 4ply.

I wound the yarn and have to say that it sat on my desk for a long time while I decided what project it was best suited to. I wanted something which would show the subtle striping of the yarn but would also add a bit of movement to draw the eye from some of the lumpier bits of spinning.
Ishbel by Ysolda Teague presented herself as the perfect project with an expanse of stocking stitch which gives the yarn a chance to show its real character and a lacy edge to break the whole thing up.
I'm pleased with the result - I made the centre to the specifications for the larger size and the edging for the smaller as I was determined to use every last morsel of yarn. In fact, I ran it so close I had to hastily Andean ply myself a couple of metres from the leftover single on the bobbin so that I could finish the cast off - phew!


I really like the combination of the yarn and the pattern. It puts me in mind of the effect of one of those giant clam shells with the iridescent mother of peal inside and the fluted edges to the shell.

It's also just the right size to throw around the shoulders to keep the chills off or to fill that gap between your coat and jumper and has the unmistakable texture of hand spun.
Thank you Marianne and Ysolda - a lovely combination.

15 comments:

Cornflower said...

That is a lovely combination!

Rose Red said...

It's just lovely - perfect combination of yarn and pattern.

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

gorgeous:)

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

it looks totally fab!

Rani said...

Ooooooooh! So pretty!!! How much yarn did you use? I am new to this spinning business and it seems I have 4 oz. here and 4 oz. there. Never enough for a lovely shawl!!

sussexyorkie said...

Absolutely lovely, I like the soft blend of colours. Must get this knit sometime.

Rosie said...

Oh, that is so beautiful: it looks peaceful and happy and contented.

Linda said...

Thats just lovely. You spun it beautifully.

Bells said...

see this is the biggest reason I can think of to be a spinner and what makes me always keep the idea in the back of my mind - knowing I could go from start to finish like you have - and spin more if I need it at the last minute. Great work. She's lovely!

mildawg said...

It looks fantastic -- the colors *do* blend well.

Kathy said...

So pretty! I can just feel the coziness of it.

Panhandle Jane said...

That is absolutely beautiful, both the spinning and the knitting!

Karen said...

I just loved seeing the fibre before it was knitted up. Even the colors look quite different. Fascinating!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anni said...

wow, gorgeous.