you can see from the predrafted fibre how well the colours blend with each other.
and this is how the yarn turned out. Maybe a little unevenly spun in places but overall a reasonably bouncy yarn which averaged out at about a 4ply.
I wound the yarn and have to say that it sat on my desk for a long time while I decided what project it was best suited to. I wanted something which would show the subtle striping of the yarn but would also add a bit of movement to draw the eye from some of the lumpier bits of spinning.
Ishbel by Ysolda Teague presented herself as the perfect project with an expanse of stocking stitch which gives the yarn a chance to show its real character and a lacy edge to break the whole thing up.
I'm pleased with the result - I made the centre to the specifications for the larger size and the edging for the smaller as I was determined to use every last morsel of yarn. In fact, I ran it so close I had to hastily Andean ply myself a couple of metres from the leftover single on the bobbin so that I could finish the cast off - phew!
I really like the combination of the yarn and the pattern. It puts me in mind of the effect of one of those giant clam shells with the iridescent mother of peal inside and the fluted edges to the shell.
It's also just the right size to throw around the shoulders to keep the chills off or to fill that gap between your coat and jumper and has the unmistakable texture of hand spun.
Thank you Marianne and Ysolda - a lovely combination.