Thursday, 3 December 2009

Leaves are finally falling

Last time you saw this shawl must have been back in May when I was first planning some proper lace knitting with lace weight yarn. I chose 100g of cashmere lace weight from Knitwitch which gave me over 800 metres of entertainment.

So I knitted


and knitted but the ball of yarn never seemed to get any smaller.

Eventually I decided that the piece was big enough and I stopped. With 25g still to go. And there she lay for a few weeks until I decided to go on a blocking spree and the magic happened.

I find it very difficult to photograph large pieces successfully but I hope these images give you and idea of the floaty airy pinkness of this project.

It amazes me that there can be so much warmth and substance from 75g of yarn but at the same time it can be so insubstantial.

The mild variegation's in the yarn don't detract from the simple lace pattern which I found very easy to memorise and the yarn very pleasant to work with.

I think I may be ready for something a little more complicated next time.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, blocking makes a huge difference. Your shawl is simply beautiful. I love it! Good job finishing it off!!!!

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

so beautiful Jane:)

Kathy said...

That is SO beautiful! I find blocking is a huge difference when you are dealing with lace.

Andrea said...

That is one beautiful shawl!

natalie said...

Is that a Forest Canopy?

mildawg said...

Beautiful job!

Linda said...

Thats nice, so cosy and elegant.

Anni said...

That looks gorgeous. It always amazes me how warm lace shawls are considering how fine they normally are.

Amy said...

that looks just like teasels. Really beautiful