Tuesday, 15 December 2009

If we were lobsters...

...we wouldn't have so many fingers and I wouldn't have procrastinated so heavily about finishing test knitting this lovely glove pattern by the very talented Littleberry. I have had it on the needles since February and sailed through the cuff and the stranded knitting. Then came the thought of all those fingers....

I was given a reprieve for the summer months but as the days grew cooler my conscience began to prick me so I picked up the first glove and started knitting fingers. I have to admit that it was a lot easier than I had anticipated although it still isn't one of my favourite knitting activities.

Despite the temptation to take new projects with me on a recent trip to Wales to be with my family I took only works in progress and distracted with family chitchat managed to finish the second glove in double quick time.

The yarn is one of my favourite standards, Jamieson's Spindrift in Pistachio and Blossom and took just over a 25g ball and a half of the green and half a ball of the pink so the project is very economical. The Shetland yarn blooms beautifully and always gives colour work that sense of cohesion that stranded fabric needs.

The finished gloves are a really good fit and may be pressed into service sooner rather than later as the temperatures in London plummet and my customary fingerless mitts need replacing with something offering more comprehensive coverage.

I hope Littleberry makes this pattern available soon as I can highly recommend it as simple ,straightforward and well written with only the absolute minimum number of fingers required ,assuming they are not a gift for a lobster.

The promised trip around the National Wool Museum of Wales is not forgotten - I just have a few photographs to take which require daylight - as I leave home in the dark and come home in the dark Monday to Friday, the weekends are the only times I can get photos done for the blog. I am so happy that the solstice is just around the corner and we can soon look forward to a few more minutes of daylight every day.

13 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Ooh - lovely!

Esther said...

They are fantastic. I still have to knit my first pair of fingered gloves....

LittleBerry said...

I love the colour of the gloves... and thanks for the 'praise'... I'll tweak the pattern and make it available for p/hop in the New Year...

Anonymous said...

hello~nice to meet u..............................

Karen said...

The gloves are simply beautiful--have never attempted to knit a pair. Maybe when this pattern becomes available?

Karen said...

The gloves are simply beautiful--have never attempted to knit a pair. Maybe when this pattern becomes available?

Rani said...

I'm scared of gloves. They look so tedious with all those fingers. However, yours turned out devine! I love that soft green color - and the colorwork means extra warmth in there. Someday . . . someday . . .

stringsofpurls said...

These are beautiful!

Linda said...

They are lovely. I have never knitted finger gloves, they seem a bit scarey!

mildawg said...

Yeah, I find fingers to be quite hard to finish as well. Your gloves look great!

Jane said...

Beautiful job!

Anni said...

Gorgeous gloves. I'm itching to cast on for a pair of new colour work mittens.

Anonymous said...

The gloves are gorgeous, Jane. As for 'all those fingers', Franklin Habbit, when he knitted gloves, mentioned something about i-cord.

Dunno whether it'd work, though it appeared to for him, but it might be worth a try.