Sunday, 13 December 2009

I may never take this scarf off....

I know the last few posts have been a bit of a repetitive parade of finished projects but that is only because I have been really good and resisted the temptation to cast on new stuff.I'm not sure how long I can hold out however as while I am knitting away on a piece of work where the pattern is firmly embedded in my memory my mind can wander off and generate all kinds of wild and wonderful ideas.

Mind you, I am delighted to say that I have managed to finish the Lace Ribbons Scarf. This is a pattern by Veronik Avery from Knitty and has turned out to be the perfect showcase for this yarn which is Acero, a wool, silk and viscose fingering weight blend from Brooks Farm which I bought at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival last year. I had originally intended to make a shawl which was made up of what seems like hundreds of little spirals all knit together but quite honestly, when it dawned on me how many ends that meant sewing in I fell at the first hurdle...

I have used two 100g skeins for this project and the scarf is a magnificent 3 metres long. Which is hard to photograph.

I knew that is was longer than I anticipated when I started blocking it on my bedroom floor, followed it across the landing and into the bathroom....

It has, however become a wardrobe staple as it is light enough to throw around my neck several times and also works perfectly with a long light brown boiled wool jacket that I wear a lot for work at this time of year.

I also think it looks equally good from the back

As well as the front.

Next time, by way of a change I will have news of my visit to the National Wool Museum of Wales, once voted the most boring museum in Britain. I of course, might have a slightly different view....

8 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

I love the scarf Jane the colour is stunning and the pattern compliments it beautifully:)

Stephanie V said...

Ooh, that is one great scarf. I love the way the colors weave through the blue. They seem to enhance the ribbon pattern rather than compete. I am looking in my stash right now - I must have something!

LynS said...

I'm most envious of this scarf (Which has been in my Ravelry queue for ages)! I love the combination of colours and the way they are so perfect for the pattern. And the length...lots of scope for swishing.

littlelixie said...

Saw this on ravelry. Very beautiful. I have 2 balls of panda silk I've earmarked for a smaller one of these!

Kathy said...

As always, you scarf is beautiful! I can't wait to hear about your museum visit. All dedicated knitters love the history of their craft.

Linda said...

That scarf is wonderful!

Jane said...

Beautiful scarf. Adorable colour changes.

mildawg said...

3 meters? WOW!
The color looks fantastic.