Thursday, 24 December 2009

Home for the Holidays

As every year, my little family has gathered on the Isle of Wight. As I write, the children are asleep in bed with stockings securely tied with my knitting yarn to the ends of their beds and the adults are snoozing in front of Christmas Carols on the television. All is well in our small world.


Today in between last minute present wrapping, cooking and visits from friends and relations we took a walk down to the river and my nephew and I captured a few images we'd like to share. It was a typical Christmas Eve, a little dull and chilly but all the ice and snow that had threatened to keep us apart had disappeared. Difficult and uncertain journeys were forgotten.


The river was quiet and calm with the silence broken by the calls of curlews and oyster catchers. We made out the exotic shape of an egret at too far a distance to capture on camera.

We took a last look at the crumbling remains of the Ryde Queen, a paddle steamer that used to run between Ryde and Portsmouth but in later years served as a nightclub where we did some of our growing up as teenagers. It's sad to see the state it is now in as it waits to be scrapped next year.

This time of year makes me reflect on how many journeys this ship has taken people on - too and from their loved ones, from youth to adulthood. So many hellos and goodbyes, memories happy and sad.

I hope you all have the opportunity to spend the holiday season with everyone you love and love you.

Sheep courtesy of Sheep Poo Paper. You didn't expect an entirely sheep free post did you?

10 comments:

Panhandle Jane said...

Have a lovely family Christmas in such a beautiful place.

Rani said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. The pictures are really lovely. They tell an interesting story.

kathryn said...

To wish you Happy and Peaceful Christmas.

LittleBerry said...

Best Wishes for Christmas

tea and cake said...

Happy Christmas to you!

LynS said...

Due to the time difference, I'm just at the end of Christmas Day. Family, friends, gifts, good food and the first Christmas of which she's been aware for my grand-daughter. I hope your Christmas Day brings as many pleasures as mine has.

mildawg said...

I love that sheep! Merry Christmas!

Kathy said...

I love your sheep! Hope you had a lovely Christmas with your family, I most certainly did with mine.

RooKnits said...

Merry Christmas Jane

littlelixie said...

Happy Christmas and a very merry new year!