Sunday, 15 November 2009

Hold the front page - my first finished crochet project!

This is a short but rather momentous post. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present my first crochet project, not only complete but completed by following instructions in a real life book!

You may remember that while I was on my road trip in America, one of the things that my friend Laura had promised to do was to teach me to crochet properly by following a crochet pattern. Previously I could knock out the odd lumpy granny square but when I looked at a pattern my eyes just crossed so I really didn't feel as if I could call myself a crocheter.

When we were in Philadelphia we visited a beautiful yarn shop called Loop where I found this really accessible book and some lovely Blue Skies Organic Cotton to start with. It's true that lovely materials inspire us to greater effort so I was eager to get started. The helpful assistant wound my skeins for me, found me the right sized hook and I was ready to go!


Washcloths seemed to be a good start. You can never have too many, it doesn't matter if they are maybe a little misshapen and not all exactly the same size....
I found, as with many things, that a crochet pattern isn't as difficult to decipher as I thought it was going to be. Laura is a very good and patient teacher which helped considerably, and generously crocheted along with me using her own selection of colours which of course, came from exactly the opposite side of the spectrum as you would expect from two best friends who consider gentle bickering to be a satisfying part of their relationship!
Before long I was hooked (did you see what I did there?) and over the course of the next few weeks consolidated my learning with three matching washcloths. The dense, nubbly stitch makes a perfect washcloth texture when you use this ultra soft cotton.
In fact I like it so much I thought you might enjoy a closer look. I love the colour combination which reminds me of the rich shades you might see in an Indian spice market.

I wonder what my next crochet project might be....

16 comments:

Rose Red said...

Huzzah for a new crocheter!! The washcloths look great and the colours are divine - very Indian spice market!

Linda said...

They look lovely. I started the star blamket in there but don't have enough yarn but I think I might make those cloths.

tea and cake said...

Well done, you! And, they are so cool!

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

welcome to the dark side!!

Jenny said...

Well done, there'll be no stopping you now. Its one of my ambitions to learn to crochet, I'd be delighted to make the progress you have.

Anni said...

Well done. They look great. I'm just re-learning to crochet at the moment and i'm trying to learn how to follow patterns. Have done 3 shapes this weekend from an American book and very pleased with myself (see my blog). Like the look of your book, may have to get that one for Christmas.

mildawg said...

Congratulations on finishing! I love the stitch used here.

LittleBerry said...

it is a slippery slope with crochet especially when you learn to read charts and then find Japanese crochet books.... you're doomed!

Cathy said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and loved your crochet project. Learning to crochet is certainly on my to do list one day. You are obviously a natural!

Bells said...

what a great way to master your crochet. Wash cloths are the perfect way to go. I have loads of them from learning new techniques etc and I actually think I prefer crochet cloths for using at home - they seem to have a better texture for it.

kaet said...

Congrats - they're gorgeous cloths, and I hope you enjoy using them!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eppsjpls said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.