Wednesday, 4 November 2009

The eternal clapotis

As regular readers of this blog will know, I am an habitual knitter of Clapotis, probably one of the most virulent of viral knits on the internet. I make no apology for this. I knit fast and furiously on it, enjoying the process but also because I really wanted to wear it and knew exactly which outfit had a red Clapotis shaped hole in it!

So here is is, knit in just over seven balls of Noro Silk Garden with one extra repeat added for luck! The broad,random stripes in this yarn cross the bias knit shape of the Clapotis beautifully.

Although it does remind me ever so slightly of those magic eye puzzles which I am never able to fathom out!

Another reason to love this particular pattern is that it looks especially good unblocked or roughly dried and the back is as decorative as the front.

My favourite aspect of this pattern, however is the way that the ripples fold up on each other and flow around the neck - right side...

...or wrong side.


This is the perfect wrap for blustery autumn weather - I have already worn it a couple of times to great success. My knitting will always fulfil many functions. Sometimes I want to stretch myself and knit new, complicated things in new techniques and sometimes I knit simple things over and over again for comfort. This project is slightly different as this is a garment I wanted to wear so I got out wool and needles and made it - the product was the most important thing rather than the process.This is one of the things that I love about the place that knitting holds in my life - there is a project for every occasion, every mood or every hole in an autumn wardrobe!

13 comments:

Bells said...

Oh I'm with you. I've only done it once but will in fact repeat it again and again! I think it's a great, great pattern. And that's a lovely sample!

LynS said...

I've not yet knitted a clapotis. I'm not sure why this is so, as I think they look wonderful. Yours is certainly an inspiration - beautiful!

Auntie Noo said...

oooh it is gorgeous - I think Noro ones are extra special! ;)

tea and cake said...

Ooh, LynS said exactly what I was going to say! Spooky, or what?!

Anonymous said...

I've been wearing my Clapotis on many days recently as it's been so windy in Lancashire. It's really useful as I can pull it quickly over my head to keep off rain from the next shower, or just have it warmly round my neck. I refused to use all those stitch markers in the pattern, and just used purl stitches as the ones to let down the ladders. Yours looks lovely and encourages me to make another.
MelindaJ

mildawg said...

I love how the photos capture the Clapotis beautifully :)

Anni said...

That's gorgeous. I must be theonly knitter on the internet who has never knitted a Clapotis. I've planned to knit one lots of times. Just never had time. I'm wondering if I'll manage to knit one on my knitting machine.

beanz said...

Lovely.
I really promote the clapotis from Favourite to Queue

Linda said...

Every year I see your latest Clapotis and say to myself that I must knit another! I never do but I love looking at yours!

Jane said...

Beautiful job!

Janey said...

I have made one clapotis and I love it, it is a permanent fixture once the weather gets really chilly, like now!!
Your new one is a beautiful colour, enjoy! x

Poshyarns said...

Glorious, such beautiful colours. I only have one Clapotis and this post makes me think that one is surely not enough.

dreamcatcher said...

Gorgeous Noro Clapotis! I've not long since finished another, for similar reasons to your own - wanted one to tone in with a winter outfit and found the perfect yarn for it.