Friday, 20 November 2009

Beautiful and Brainless

Believe it or not, I have been a good and dutiful knitter (for the most part). I have been through all my works in progress, bagged them up so that I don't lose essential elements and find an excuse for putting them down again and stored them all in a large work bag by the sofa. And a large work bag it is I might tell you. A work bag which is struggling to contain its overflowing contents....

Of course when you go diving around in your projects you find bits and pieces that remind you of events and people. Remember the IKnit Day at the Horticultural Halls back in the summer? I was lucky enough to attend a sock knitting course with Yarnissima aka Marjan Hammink and here is the little sock that I produced as coursework.

As a way of consolidating my learning I thought I would make pair of adult socks using one of her patterns and chose this rather attractive skein of Koigu.

The pattern I chose is called Brainless. It seemed like a good idea to me - how hard could it be after all? I have to say that on the first sock I struggled with the very exacting and unfamiliar instructions, right and left handed lifted increases, changing the placement of the work on the needles and the endless rows of ribbing knit through the back of the loop.


I have to say, however, that it fits beautifully and is, after all, a rather handsome sock. Apart from the fact that it appears that I am unable to estimate how much yarn needs to be saved at the end to do an inch of ribbing.

I am now half way up the foot on the second sock but almost as I cast on and read the first few lines of the pattern, the penny started to drop and I understood the flow of the pattern and the elegant attention to detail in the way that the toe shaping moves into the cable motifs at the side of the foot. I still struggled with rearranging the stitches on the needle but I am sure this is to do with my issue with left and right. I am sure that these socks will not languish for very long in my knitting basket as they have become a real pleasure to knit and I am certainly planning to knit more Yarnissima patterns in the future.
They are in fact both beautiful and Really Rather Clever.

6 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta & Baldyboi said...

it looks fab!

Jane said...

Great review of this pattern Jane. Thanks. I have it in my queue and am now tempted to bring it out.

natalie said...

These are the ones I chopped into tiny pieces in frustration!

picperfic said...

I can hardly keep up with all your activities! Love the socks and the yarn but your clapotis is so pretty!

mildawg said...

Wow! The socks look lovely. You certainly chose a wonderful yarn, too.

Linda said...

I am not sure if I could cope with that way of sock knitting but they are beautiful.