Monday, 26 October 2009

Travellers Impressions: Wildlife

No trip to a Sheep and Wool Fair is complete without a good look around the livestock barns to take a look at the creatures whose fluff we covet. I will tell you now, I will never make a top class wildlife photographer as I was determined not to alarm the animals so set my camera to suppress the flash gun and refused to poke, prod, snap fingers etc to get the animal's attention. This would all be tres laudable if I had what they do, patience, and didn't have the attention span of a gnat in a room full of bright shiny and woolly distractions. Treat these photos kindly, they are guaranteed cruelty free and a true representation of the expressions of the animals at the time.

As usual I was way too scatty to ascertain their breed - do chip in if you know.

First up, look at this serene creature - don't you just want to bury your hands in that beautiful curly fleece?
Or this bashful teenager gazing through her fringe? I think she may possibly be a Rambouillet.


And this delicate little creature may be a Soay.


Not sure about this chap having the bad hair day.
But who could mistake this characterful Jacob for anything else?

Sheep were not the only wool bearing creatures showing their talents at Rhinebeck. Look at these beautiful Llamas preparing to compete....


in the high jump competition! Apologies for the quality of the photograph - it was the only one where a llama was actually in flight...

...most of them were asserting their independence of character in this manner...

But who can fail to forgive a creature that looks this regal?

And they do have their sensitive side too.

No report on my wildlife encounters would be complete without a photograph of Dennis, my knitting supervisor during my stay in New York. He hadn't been in the best of health but on hearing the mention of the words 'Portrait of Dennis' started to enthusiastically clean his fur. He is a quiet, dignified cat much beloved by Juanita, my very gracious host. I wish him a full recovery.

And finally, despite the fact that I wanted to bring all these wonderful creatures home with me, I had to content myself with this, a black sheep mug by Jenny the Potter.


It will be a good way to remember my travels every time I have a cup of tea.
Next time I might just talk about a few souvenirs of my travels - and there could also be knitting...

5 comments:

Rani said...

What a fun post! Great souvenir.

Garrison Keilor said this summer, "Oh, the Llama. A beautiful, majestic. . . pointless creature." Hahaha. He's obviously not a knitter.

Great photos and I appreciate your effort in kindness. I think the photos turned out perfect.

Bring on the knitting!

Esther said...

I am always wary of any llamas or aplacas as I think they are going to spit at me! They have that mischievous look in their eyes....

Anni said...

Cute sheep. And never seen Llama jumping. I used to do show jumping with horses though.

Bells said...

oh all those faces are SO expressive. Gorgeous.

Linda said...

I never knew Llamas did the high jump!